Medical Questionnaire

Hunter14

Hi, I wonder if someone could give me a bit of advice please about the medical form.
Bit of background first.
I'm 17 and started my 2nd year at college back in September. However I wasn't enjoying it, didn't know what to do with my future etc so within 5-6 weeks I was skipping classes etc. Mum found out, shed also been told by my older brother that he'd heard I was taking drugs etc (I had tried cannabis, that's it). Anyway this resulted in an almighty row where I said a stupid comment about I'd be better being dead etc. This obviously worried my mum to the extent that she wrote to our doctors. (They phoned her and chatted to her and advised to try and get me to see a doctor)
Within a few days we sat and talked calmly about my future and that's when I decided to apply for the RN. She then told me about the letter to the doctor's. I have requested my medical records to see if it's logged and it is.

So my question is do I declare this and if so at what stage? Bearing in mind I have never seen a doctor or been diagnosed with any mental illness. Also do you think this will stop me from being accepted to RN?

Thank you

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Unless you self-harmed, needed counselling (referred to CAMHs?) or were prescribed medication as a result of your actions then it is unlikely your Mum's expression of understandable concern is actually recorded on your health record as a mental health issue or a one-off experimentation seen as drug dependency....unless you overdosed.

Best bet? Ask for a copy.

Good luck & stop being silly ;)

Hunter14

Unless you self-harmed, needed counselling (referred to CAMHs?) or were prescribed medication as a result of your actions then it is unlikely your Mum's expression of understandable concern is actually recorded on your health record as a mental health issue or a one-off experimentation seen as drug dependency....unless you overdosed.

Best bet? Ask for a copy.

Good luck & stop being silly ;)

Thank you for your reply. I did request a copy and it is now on my medical record that Mum wrote a letter as she was concerned about my mood and possible suicide threat, although it did also say it was said in anger, together with possible use of drugs.

So I'm not sure what to do with medical questionnaire, do I write something about it or just wait for medical and raise the issue there or just totally leave it out altogether and wait and see if medical examiner raises it with me?

I realise now I shouldn't have said the things I said and how upsetting it was for my mum but at the time I just was so confused about my future and mum just seemed to be nagging me and I just lost my temper and it escalated.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If you were not diagnosed with a mental health condition and treated for it then you need not declare that you suffered from the condition. If however, the GP diagnosed drug induced psychosis or similar then it needs to be declared.

Hunter14

If you were not diagnosed with a mental health condition and treated for it then you need not declare that you suffered from the condition. If however, the GP diagnosed drug induced psychosis or similar then it needs to be declared.
Thank you. No the GP hasn't diagnosed anything as I never went to see them as, as far as I was concerned we just had a row and I said things I shouldn't have, never expecting my mum to write to doctors. So it's literally a note written in records stating letter received from Mother stating her concerns and that doctor spoke to mum on phone and advised her to get me to come in for an appointment which I obviously didn't.

I didn't want to leave it off questionnaire if I was going to get into trouble for it so thought I'd ask on here. Thank you for clarifying that I don't have to put it on.

Hunter14

Thank you. No the GP hasn't diagnosed anything as I never went to see them as, as far as I was concerned we just had a row and I said things I shouldn't have, never expecting my mum to write to doctors. So it's literally a note written in records stating letter received from Mother stating her concerns and that doctor spoke to mum on phone and advised her to get me to come in for an appointment which I obviously didn't.

I didn't want to leave it off questionnaire if I was going to get into trouble for it so thought I'd ask on here. Thank you for clarifying that I don't have to put it on.