Medical Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by CuCkO0, Nov 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, just a quick question.

I got a date for my medical, 17th of January, good few weeks away! Anyway just wondering do they tell if you pass or fail on the day of the examination?
  2. I was told at the end of the medical, hopefully it'll be the same for you :thumbup:

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You'll either be told an outright yes, an outright no or a "not yet" because more info is required.

If you follow the guidance in the medical appointment letter regarding medical notes for any condition listed, you'll save many weeks, whatever the outcome.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alright guys thank you very much for the responses, much appreciated.

Just another thing. All I really know about the medical is that they strip you down to your underwear, you do the cough test, some stretches and such I think. Do they check your BMI I think I read somewhere? If anyone could help with what exactly is expected of there it'd be much help! Want to be as prepared as possible for it.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

6. Hi Ninja_Stoker, I clicked on your link and it mentioned "be aware you can avoid a lot of delays is you bring copies of your medical notes relating to the issue - be aware this includes fractures, even if they were years ago."

I broke my thumb about 7 years ago and a knuckle 5 years ago and have a medical this coming Wednesday. Don't know if you're a medical guy with know how but could this have any effect or delay in my process? Thanks in advance for a reply, much appreciated.

By the way I have no problems, defect or abnormalities with my thumb and knuckle... All healed now. :)

Cheers Grimes.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

I'm not a medical person but generally the person who is may need to know if there are pins, plates, screws or any restricted movement or complications.
  8. I wasn't striped down . only took my shoes off. Didn't do a cough test either. nor did i do stretches.
    My medical consisted of, A medical questionaire, hearing test, BMI, they checked bones and joints, a press up and a sit up and a quick eye test to make sure your not colour blind.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Not much point 'striping' people, unless they clash with the wallpaper.

The medical should consist of the following:

A Hearing Test (avoid loud noise for 48 hours before)
    A survey of your ear-drums (make sure your ears are free from excessive wax)
    Blood pressure test (avoid caffeine based drinks, including energy drinks for at least 24 hours before)
    Urine sample/test (avoid protein drinks for at least 24 hours before)
    Beighton Test for hyper-mobilityMedical Standards for Entry
    A brief survey of your musculo-skeletal condition
    Colour perception Test - Ishihara coloured dots (Minimum standard CP4)
    Optician Report Form checked (Minimum standard VA3)

A check to ensure you can independetly close your left eye (It's so you can shoot right-handed)
    Hernia check (lower abdomen)
    Weight is measured (minimum 65Kgs)
    Height is measured (minimum 151.5 cms)
    BMI checked (ideal Max 25, exceptionally, for muscularly-built individuals: 28)
    Medical questionnaire is scrutinised and a brief discussion regarding your previous medical history.

If you reckon you were "seen off" and didn't undergo a proper medical, just give your AFCO a call, they'll be happy to re-arrange a second medical.
  10. They didn't check your grammar or spelling either. I know it's the internet and forming constructed sentences without spelling errors is a bit out of vogue, but you could at least proof read before you post.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (iOS)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I had to get to me undercrackers, do the funny walks and a push up in them- you missed out on all the fun!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. or speeling!
  13. Good thing i am not joining the logistic branch then isn't it
  14. I'm intrigued about funny walks! I did ten push ups in my boxers, but no funny walks!
  15. Or, hopefully, any branch that requires reports to be written.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. duckwalk... had some older fella do my medical didnt mind being down to my boxers it was while having my eyes checked his junk ( he was fully clothed it was an accident...i think) where resting directly on my right knee i have never felt more arkward in my life as at the time i had to look directly in front of me

when the going gets weird the weird turn pro
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

With that attitude, I'm surprised any branch would want you.
  18. what attitude ? it is a good thing is it not?
  19. It was something like walking on the sides of your feet, bending over to touch your toes and a few others i think; i guess to check you arent hiding any funny shaped joints or injuries! Also did the cough thing in my underwear too- everything else was clothed lol.

What branch are you joining andrea?
  20. Just in case this gets interesting lol