Medical Question

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by dean7b, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, completely new here, seen a few posts asking roughly the same questions as I'm about to do here. So before I start, sorry if I drone on.

The question I'm getting at is when the medical comes along what are my chances realistically.

I currently weigh 15st and I am 5ft 10 with a bmi of around 30, having lost 3 stone in around 6 months I feel I have done ok so far.

Now I am still doing as much fitness training as possible till the medical comes along (that's if I pass the psychometric test etc..) but at the current rate what do you think?

I'm fine with the 1.5 mile run and the sit ups but being honest with myself I'm finding the push ups really hard, has to be a lack of strength surely..because I can only manage about 5-6 full ones so far.

As I said, no date as of yet so any suggests would be greatly appreciated and/or opinions.

Ohh and as a side note I wouldn't mind some clarification on something.

The books I picked up when I was in the office seem to suggest that the 23 push ups/39 sit ups etc.. are at the end of the 8 week training program is this correct? Do I have to do the 1.5m run in the time provided to then get into training to do the harder part at a later date.

Thanks

Dean

2. Not really a medical issue per se. Well done on efforts so far though.

I'd suggest having a chat to an instructor at whatever gym you use. It sounds like you need a structured training programme to lose the last bit and improve on press-up and sit-up technique.

Someone will probably be along in a while to suggest protein shakes and the like. Treat them with the contempt they deserve.

3. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

In support of Angry Docs reply, a structured gym programme will probably help.

I certainly found that I improved overall once I was mixing a decent weights session with, running and swimming, and that each activity served to improve the others.

For push ups specifically you probably need a progressive approach, one hundred push ups

I followed this one, although not to the point of doing 100 push ups, and found it very helpful.

Keep up the effort and remember that your perseverance will pay off.

4. Fantastic guys, will get on that push up program it looks rather promising.

Having actually looked at the question I agree angrydoc, really isn't a medical question is it..haha.

It was early morning, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it haha.

Anyways I have my psychometric test tomorrow so I'll post on how it goes.

5. Well done on the current weight loss mate and good luck with the psycometric test.

6. Ta, sort of bricking it about the test for no reason. Done ok on the stuff they sent me out so..

Just want to get it right instead of having to do it again..looks easy enough though.

7. The questions are easy.
    It's answering them in the time allowed that's the problem... ;)

:)

8. As i found out, passed all 3 parts apart from engineering by 2 marks (my chosen field)

The guy said either way i look at it i have to wait twelve months, so he wants me to come back in twelve months to resit it.

But the good side from what he said was that i'm now on the "waiting list" from todays date.

Anyone know if i can change branch if i got the required score for the others?

Could be an option..