Medical Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ben93, Apr 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a little worried about the Medical. Been to the Doctors today to get a photocopy of my discharge letter from hospital, and don't know whether my condition if a bar to entry, angrydoc says a 'Scoliosis' with symptoms is a bar to entry. Has anybody else been in a similar situation?.

The letter is mostly in my favour, it reads:

Dear **********
    Re: *************
    Thank you for your letter dated the 25 January 2010 regarding the future prognosis for ***. As is concerned the chance of him having such a problem is slightly higher than the normal population. However, this should not deter him from doing things that he wants to do as chronic back pain is quite prevalent in the normal population without any scoliosis.
    Even though X-rays show very slow progression of the scoliosis with a curve like that of ***’s which is measuring only 26 degrees from T3-T11until skeletal maturity the chances of his curve progressing to such an extent that it will affect his internal organs are very slight. There is no evidence to suggest that braces or corsets correct or halt the deformity. Also, surgical treatment is not indicated unless the curve progress further or is producing significant pain. After reviewing his notes I do not think that the curve is bothering *** and surgery appears not to be warranted at the present time.
    I note from your letter that *** would like to join The Royal Navy and as stated above he can do anything that he wants in life. If at some point he did undergo corrective spinal surgery then that may prevent him from joining The Royal Navy.
    I hope this answer all your queries but please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information.
    Yours sincerely

Dictated but not signed
    Spinal Fellow to MOD Edit: Personal details removed
    Consultant Spinal Surgeon

2. Might want to re-edit it again
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If there are ongoing symptoms then I'd tend to believe what a qualified Navy medical officer states rather than anecdotal evidence to the contrary, for fear of raising false expectations.

Some medical conditions are an outright bar to entry, others depend on the degree to which it affects the individual & whether the condition is likely to continue to deteriorate - regardless of it's current state of development.

The thing to remember is that the medical standards for entry differ to the standards applied to those already serving, who develop a condition after joining, particularly if the cause/severity is in anyway attributed to their service in the Armed Forces.
  4. There are no symptoms Ninja, this is where I'm confused - if scoliosis itself a bar to entry regardless of symptoms, degree etc.?
  5. Musculoskeletal disorders Any abnormality that interferes with the ability to undertake military training. Spinal abnormalities. Certain spinal operations. Recurrent back pain or sciatica. Joint disease, pain or limitation of joint movement. Hypermobility (laxity) of the joints. Bone or joint operations within the last 12 months. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Recurrent joint dislocations. Severe deformity following fractures. Loss of a limb. Foot abnormalities (e.g. club foot or hammer toe). Complete loss of either big toe. Complete loss of either thumb. Arthritis and similar conditions. Fractures within the last 12 months, except fractures of the digits / clavicles.

My guess (and it's only a guesss) is that the above section taken from the application guidance form notes, would appear to make you potentially precluded from entry.

But to be definite you need to undergo a full medical with an AFCO medical examiner nad get their clearance.

6. I hope I'm not permanently unfit, I would be gutted! :(

I found this:

3.12.26. Structural abnormality of the spine.12 Candidates with minor
    scoliosis, kyphosis or lordosis with no associated back pain with full
    and free
    movement of all spinal segments (cervical, thoracic and lumbar) may be
    graded L2.

At least there's still chance.

Thanks for the advice/opinions.

7. If it is not causing any problems then I would ask why you were seeing a spinal surgeon in the first place.

Otherwise, this letter has changed very little since your last message to me.

Civilians' opinions about suitability for entry, whilst fascinating, cut little ice with us as they have no idea what our standards are.

I cannot give you a yes or no without assessing you clinically - your condition is a grey area.

However, be aware that you are more likely to run into problems with back pain in later life than someone without scoliosis - this may influence the final decision.