Medical Question.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ferriterod, Feb 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I would like to apply to join the FAA.

When I was 16 (7 years ago) I tried to join the RNR after being a cadet at school, but despite doing well in interviews, failed my medical. I've always doubted the reasoning, but I was young, just accepted it and was bit upset!

I had an operation on my knee when I was 12, to remove an errant lump of bone (an osteocondroma), and upon seeing the scar (about 1.5" long)the Doc said, "ohh, that might keep you out" - and that was that!

I'm hopeful that I might have better luck a few years on. I'm very active, keep myself fit and have never been hampered by my knee in any way, competing in plenty of sports at University. I'm really keen to do this, and will do anything I have to do to pass, but don't want to get my hopes up too high before falling again. Otherwise my health is in great shape!

Does anyone have any information about this sort of thing? I've had a search on the forums and can't find much. My next step is to apply, see how it goes, and try to be as honest as possible about what's happened (it had been suggested that I didn't mention the RNR medical....).

Any help would be great! Cheers!
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, think you've already answered your own question... :?

I'm sure "Angrydoc" will be along soon to offer some appropriate advice - although don't be shocked when he places both hands on your shoulders before he adminsters the enema... 8O :D
  3. You raise a good point!

Hopefully AngryDoc will be able to point me in the right direction, so hopefully I'll know more about my chances before wasting everyone's time!
  4. Technically an osteochondroma isn't just an errant lump of bone but I'll let you off that one!

To be honest, I can't really see the reason you were refused in the first place. As long as your knee is fully functional - ie no restriction in range of movement and normal exercise tolerance - and the diagnosis you stated is correct, I see no issue at all.

Good luck!