Medical Query

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ns94, May 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have PRNC in 3 months and Raleigh a month after, currently I have a small sebaceous cyst about an inch wide on my upper left shoulder. This is booked in to be drained in about 2 weeks with a week healing time - just wondering if it would postpone my dates at all?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think you should be OK.

I had one removed off my scalp a few years back at HMS Drake medical centre. I asked the Doc if I was entitled to time off, he replied "You are not even excused wearing a beret, Lofty. Crack-on"

3. Thanks for the reply, Ninja.

If I inform my AFCO will they refer me to have it checked by a doc? I really don't want to turn up at the gates and be sent home for fraudulent entry for a measly lump on my shoulder.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just tell your AFCO to be on the safe side, I doubt you would be referred to see the AFCO ME and I'm fairly sure the RN Medical Manager would view this as minor, given the fact you're not joining for three months. Obviously, if there was complications it would be a different matter.

Hopefully @nemesis1066 will spot this & add his tuppence.

5. Afternoon,
    If it's a simple cyst, not an infected area it should be ok. NS is right though, as per the norm, flag it to your AFCO.
    Good luck with PRNC.