Medical query - ENT/sinus

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Weeg, Jan 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I recently went to the GP to get him to sign off on an upcoming trip to the dunker as part of the potential officer course, unfortunately he took a look at my medical notes which mention a history of sinusitis and so it seems I will be unable to partake.

I read the guidance notes posted for medical and there is a mention of sinus disease, would this count and thus be a bar to entry? I currently manage my (assumed allergies) using a nasal spray and symptoms aren't debilitating just annoying so I was hoping to hear a more definitive answer if possible.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

"A trip to the dunker as part of a potential officer course" In what context is the dunker part of officer selection?

Are you talking about an URNU/OTC/UAS jolly or some sort of acquaint course? It's worth being aware allergies can be a significant issue with regard medical suitability for service, not just aircrew.
  3. An acquaint course in Yeovilton, sorry for not being clearer.

Are any particular allergies a problem aside from nuts? Or just in general?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nuts, shellfish, gluten, bee stings & food intolerance/allergies will be an issue.

In what context are you attending the acquaint - is it a potential aircrew acquaint for future potential Officer candidates, a Uni Officer Cadet acquaint, a CCF or a Uniform Youth Organisation acquaint?
  5. Aircrew acquaint for future potential Officer candidates.

Would the history of sinusitis be an instant bar, or is discretion given? I've never really considered it a problem untill now, it's only ever given me minor cold-like symptoms but if the severity is moot then fair enough.

The only allergies I seem to have are grass/pollen and cats, though I didn't think those would pop up enough to be a problem.
  6. Sinus problems needing nasal sprays and aircrew don't make for a good mix. To be honest any condition that requires ongoing treatment will not be permitted to enter. There are some exceptions, but this definitely not one of them. Sorry.

Sent from my HTC One X using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

7. Ha face facts you'll never be in the air. Standby for a dull life on the bridge when you fail.

My E&E course was full of trumped up 21 year old ******* thinking they would be the next Tom Cruise. So funny when they join your vessel as a watch keeper!
  8. Ah well, I had a feeling but was hoping for a miracle I suppose.

Thank you both for the answers.