Medical - passed back to Navy to decide ?

Please can someone advise me if they have experienced similar to the situation my son is currently in ?
I have a query in relation to the medical process. My son has recently had his medical and apparently the doctor advised him that he couldn’t give him a definitive answer due to an operation he has had in the past and would have to pass it back to the Navy Medical officer to make the ultimate decision. My son had previously been made TMU by triage whilst further info in relation to the operation was sourced from his GP. This info was sourced and the paper review was conducted and passed ;enabling him to attend his medical. The doctor at his medical has now advised him that it needs to go back in the Navy Medical Officers hands to decide ? I can’t help but feel (rightly or wrongly) that the process is going round in circles ? Can someone please enlighten me on the process ; is this normal procedure ? Your reassurance/feedback would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Sumo

War Hero
Totally normal, the Capita medical team are risk adverse. So if they cannot say yes fit and there is nothing for the Navy to complain about, they pass it to the Naval Medical team, let's them of the hook for making any decisions.

Hi Sumo
Thank you for your reply. When you say “If Capita cannot say yes fit and the Navy have nothing to complain about” what does this mean ? By “the Navy”’ are you referring to triage and the paper review ? I hope you don’t mind me asking for further clarification ; I would just like to be made clearer on the process so as I can understand the setback - thanks

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's a screening process, if there are no complications Capita pass as fit, normally anything out of the ordinary they pass on to the RN medical team for a final decision. It keeps Capita in the clear.

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
So ultimately due to triage and paper review previously passed would you say all should be ok ?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
No one on the forum would be qualified to answer that one Suntan, it's just a matter of you and your Son waiting to hear back. Good luck to him.

Hi Janner
Yes, that I can completely understand.
It is just frustrating that my son understandably feels that he got the 'tick in the box' ref the operation and was going to his medical to be assessed on the other requirements ; only to be told the operation factor is still to be looked at ?! Very confusing for him as I am sure you can appreciate.
Even more confusing is that being an ex Wren myself I remember the process of initial recruitment test, followed by interview, followed by medical = job done and I was in !
The triage and paper review therefore having been implemented since my time was my reasoning for asking what the process is and what the 'to-ing and fro-ing' could possibly mean.
Thanks for your replies anyway - I will update this thread as and when he hears back one way or the other ; it may just help someone else who finds themselves in a similar situation.

WreckerL

War Hero
@Suntan2000 , it all came about when pusser outsourced the medical side to Capita to save money, it's just created more complicated layers to what was an easy system (and that's supposed to be cheaper!!).

Like most on here, when you and I joined up if you had all your component parts and could walk unaided job was a good 'un :)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you want to feel really confused have a look through the Search function, almost everything is covered many times, some have ailments that I've never heard of or experienced which is a relief at my age :D
I joined in 1960, Doc counted that I had two of everything that I should have, made me cough (;)) and that was it. Now a days I think it's all about cost cutting and risk avoidance. Hopefully it will be worth the wait and you'll have a room to rent in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
@Suntan2000 I am the site Dysfunctional, what I write is not always, In good England, hopefully the other 2 old scrotes have answered your questions.
Your son has now been put forward to the equivalent of the medical we had, the final outcome is in the hands of the real, RN doctors.
Good luck to your lad.

@janner It was from me going through the search function that brought me to post on this forum in the early hours of this morning in the first place :eek:- 'feeling really confused' doesn't even cut it ! :):)

Thanks for your further replies and good luck wishes all - I will keep you posted

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Even more confusing is that being an ex Wren myself I remember the process of initial recruitment test, followed by interview, followed by medical = job done and I was in !
it all came about when pusser outsourced the medical side to Capita to save money, it's just created more complicated layers to what was an easy system (and that's supposed to be cheaper!!).
Wrecker answered that far more politely than I would have done. I have no time, what-so-ever, for the current system.

huwshpis

War Hero
Wrecker answered that far more politely than I would have done. I have no time, what-so-ever, for the current system.
It's not a system, it's a haphazard collection of people with different understandings of what they are meant to do. Almost recruiting by National Lottery.

Latest Threads