Medical "Paper review" results?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by T5igger, Aug 18, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone!

To cut a long story short, I've been having a nightmare with the new medical system.

Eventually they got all my hospital notes and I was seen by a doctor. I was deemed temp unfit pending a review. (Had jaw surgery almost a year ago, need to see if metal plates are allowed. Everything else was fine however)

I was supposed to have a paper review two weeks ago however a medical adviser didn't forward the correct paper work so it was pushed back another two weeks?

Now apparently my paper review was done yesterday, any rough idea of when I should get an answer? I pass my interview and tests and things back in February and I just want to get started carer wise!
  2. My son had a paper review and he got a call from his Afco roughly 2 weeks later to say he had passed and he was emailing him confirmation and sending details of how to book his fitness test
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You could give your AFCO a call to request they check the outcome on the medical portal in advance of receipt of the medical records themselves.
  4. still no results :(
    AFCO is going to chase captia...
    just want an answer now, even if it is a no
  5. my sons Afco said it normally takes 2 weeks once a paper review has been done but good luck
  6. My AFCO said we could get the results on the same day but maximum beguining of the week (my paper review was on the Thursday) hence why I'm being so inpatient :(
  7. I'm in the same situation. had my paper medical review last Tuesday and I'm still waiting for the results. I feel reluctant to push myself any further with my fitness until I get a definitive answer. I can meet the minimum fitness required in the 8 week training plan no problem but at the moment I'm just maintaining that level until I get the results and if its a pass I'm gunna train real hard to get my fitness levels even better.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I guess at least I'm not the only person waiting? Just so frustrating as I started my application in Jan/Feb time. I don't mind waiting as the Navy is what I want to spend my life doing however when the outcome isn't a 100% yes I'd just rather know as soon as possible.

I'm unsure if I don't get a reply if it'd worth contacting my AFCO however I'm sure they're sick of hearing from me now
  9. I had my paper review on the 8th July and still had nothing back. Have chased my AFCO but haven't even heard back from them now! Hopefully you get your results quicker than me!
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Your careers adviser can access the medical portal and it will usually state the outcome of the review (but not the reason). If there is no declared outcome, the odds are the case has been forwarded to the Senior Medical Officer, Service Entries for a decision.

Two ways of looking at it: Firstly it's appreciated it is a pain having to wait but secondly, it is easy to just reject a candidate - at least the individual is being every opportunity to be passed fit to enter.

Very often, when speaking to the medical professionals there is a stark choice - "If the individual wants a quick answer, it's No. But if they are prepared to let the relevant service medical expert have a more detailed look at it, it's Maybe. It could still be no, but it could also be Yes."

In my experience (13 years as a recruiter) most applicants, if they are honest with themselves, will admit that they already knew the condition was a significant issue, but "thought I'd try anyway".
  11. Yeah I completely understand it does take time. The only issue I had on my medical was slightly high blood pressure due to nerves but had the 24hr blood pressure recording and sent that off and that's what they were reviewing. So I'm just getting a bit concerned that there's something wrong which is why I haven't heard back. Hopefully it all gets sorted soon and I know one way or another.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. So I've had an update! apparently they're lead clinical doctor has sent me a letter in the post?

But there is nothing on my file about what the results actually are....

I'm assuming a letter means bad news and it's a no? Otherwise surely a yes would just be a phone call or an update on the system?
  13. Ninja_Stoker

I'd be inclined not to jump the gun with regard the decision regarding medical suitability for service however if the condition is listed as a bar to entry in the eligibility guidance notes then it is up to the individual whether they still wish to submit an application regardless of the guidance offered beforehand.

If the outcome is negative, then the thing to look for is whether it is an outright bar or under what circumstances you could in future meet the standard for entry.

Hopefully it is good news rather than bad. Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The thing it I've read on here other people have gotten in for it.
    It's just because I had jaw surgery almost a year ago and I had permanent metal plates.

The doctor I saw said it shouldn't be a problem but she needs to double check..I'm just unsure why they'd send me a letter rather than call me?