Medical on eyesight

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by just-sue, Jan 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    Hope someone can throw some light on our issue .

My son is hoping to join Navy through Welbeck 6th form (he is 15) - He had his medical and got referred because he couldnt shut one eye and open the other (ie wink!!) - was told by the Doc to go away and practice.
    AfCo say it is so he can shoot, altho curiously army and Airforce don't ask for this. He is in cadets and can shoot rifle pretty well.
    If he fails next attempt, thats his Navy career up the wall .. has anyone else had to do this on their medical ?
    His eye tests all perfect, so dont know what to do if he doesnt pass
    Any suggestions ?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3. My kid had the same sort of issue she couldnt cross her eyes. She did some training that the optician gave her and she was fine after a week. Do what NS has pointed to and he will be able to do it . Its just eye training .

4. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, I thought that was just for Officers. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. TBH she did initially do the tests for officer and passed them. How to mix a pink gin ect . Then she decided sixth form was a bucket of s**t and stuck two fingers up to them (silly cow) and joined as a rate. Now she is doing it the long way round, UY for the win. She still knows how to mix a pink gin though and she is an expert at drinking them.

6. Thanks all - I thought it was a deselection process !!!! He's up to redo it on friday so I'm keeping fingers crossed

7. Get him to do those practices constantly Sue

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks so much - Will do, really appreciate your help -just hope he has enough time before Friday - will update on how he gets on - he was gutted, he has worked so hard to get this far and it is all he wants

Cheers Sue

• Like Like x 2
  9. I taught myself to do this when i was younger after watching Wayne's World haha! Get him to stand in front of a mirror and try, even if he has to physically pull the eyelid down the first few times. Plenty of time to Friday to get the wink down!

10. Camera 1, camera 2...

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

11. I know what you are saying about the disparity between the RN requirement to be able to wink and not for the Army or RAF. In reality, the requirement to do this is a requirement set by the PJHQ, Permanent Joint Headquarters for ALL personnel who will deploy. The reason the Army & RAF don't enforce the standard is a mystery.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. I also had this problem too but my Careers adviser taught me how to fix it. Just tell him to keep practicing and it will happen naturally eventually. Good luck

13. Ninja_Stoker

I usually teach candidates like this @ 15:55

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks all - just an update - my son passed his medical - the "wink" practice worked - fitness test on Sunday:toothy8:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Congrats to your son, can we call him a winker now ;)

16. Fantastic news, a great relief I'm sure.

17. absolutely - ha ha