medical nearly out of date

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by micky_c, Apr 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. right,My eldest sprog had his medical last August and has finished all his security vetting etc. He called the AFCO today and was told his bid is in but it would probably be a year before his entry date. Surely his medical is only valid for a year and they would push him in before then if at all possible wouldn't they? he's waited 2 yrs and was hoping for a mid year entry.Any advice?

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Bad time to call mate. They were probably planning their super duper extended weekend and just wanted to get your boy off the blower.

3. Probably right mate,

my only thought was that they told him it was brought forward, then paid the cash out for medicals and fitness tests etc, then tell him it will be a year which would mean new medical and fitness tests costing more money from a shrinking budget. Must be that fully trained professional bit at work^_~.

4. yup, thats gotta be it, just like the SAS selection with the moving lorries yeah? lol

Look, I appreciate the well meant comment but after more than a few years witnessing the black hole that is admin, I thought I'd ask and see if others had experienced being brought forward at short notice if medicals etc were nearly out of date. for some reason my lad must have actually listened to a few of my dits and decided it sounded like fun and waiting over 2 yrs shows a little bit of dedication in comparison to the average lamp post licking hoodie of todays youth.

good luck to anyone with that degree of patience and dedication cos i certainly didn't have it back in '85! lol

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Burp, erm yeah. Thought I may as well log-in whilst waiting for the barrel to be changed, since Dunkin' Donuts has shut early....

Basically the waiting times are determined by the numbers required in the Branch, the numbers of applicants to join the branch & the number of training places available. These all fluctuate randomly unfortunately, depending on outflow, SDSR, current economic climate, a dartboard, chicken-bones & a witch-doctors ju-ju bag.

If a branch has a long waiting period to join we're faced with the dilemma of letting the candidate wait a couple of years before their medical only to be told they are permanenly medically unsuitable. This is then followed by angry letters from MP's and hysterical parents. Therefore, we tend to process applicants fully so that they are ready to join should a cancellation/short notice entry date crop up in the interim. This tends to be a more expensive option if the Medical, PJFT & Security Clearance expires whilst they're waiting to join - but it lessens the whining if an entry date crops up but the individual cannot join due to time expired elements of selection.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thx,

so fingers crossed a cancellation crops up :)