Medical history

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by SWAT_Pointman, Apr 29, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm an American with Irish citizenship that's interested in joining the Royal Navy but currently reside in the USA. I'm wondering if being diagnosed Bipolar 1 and Major depressive disorder would disqualify me from joining? Would the Navy ask for my medical records in the United States?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I stress that I'm not medically qualified.....................but I might just hazard a guess that you may experience a problem or two.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Those who hold a valid Irish passport must live in UK or Ireland for 5 years prior to meeting the residency requirement to apply, or gain a residency waiver, if applicable.

Unfortunately, ongoing mental health issues are going to be a significant issue with regard medical suitability for service. The regulations are below, paragraphs 4L-05 & 4L-15/16 refers;

And yes, your have to give consent so that the service can gain access to your full medical history prior to checking medical suitability.

Attached Files:

4. I was told differently by the Royal Navy Thank you for the response "Hi Peter, Thank you for your message. To join the Naval Service you will need to be a national of Britain, Ireland or the Commonwealth. Dual British nationals can also apply. The 5 year residency requirement does not apply to citizens from the Republic of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus. The first stage of the recruitment process is to complete an online application form for the role you wish to apply for. You will then be contacted by the Overseas Careers Adviser in London, who will explain the recruitment process to you. Please note that all aspects of the recruitment will be completed at an assigned Armed Forces Career Office in the UK. Trips dates would be organised to suit you and certain elements of recruitment would be grouped together to minimise excessive trips. If you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us back."
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Did you tell them about this bit "being diagnosed Bipolar 1 and Major depressive disorder"?
    Ninja works in the AFCO.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are very welcome Peter. Doubtless London AFCO will clarify the finer points, as previously outlined, before you start booking your flights.

Have a nice day, to be sure.
  7. Just give it a go and try your hardest. Depends how often you are agressive or when the last time you were. Hardest thing to overcome will be stress in the naval service. So if you think you're capable of withstanding stress. Well you've got the car, we've got the key to your career.
  8. Hey Salty,

You're neither medically qualified to make such sweeping statements, nor do you have any experience whatsoever of the RN's selection procedures. Don't give advice (especially where medical issues are concerned), which may be accepted as being as correct, when you have absolutely no basis on which to give it. Your job is to get your educational qualifications in order that you can even apply to the RN, neither of which you have done yet, it is not to wax lyrical about having the keys to others' careers when you're still at school and have no idea what you're talking about.
    • Like Like x 5