Medical for Submarine Service?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by thereverend, Feb 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I understand you have to undergo another medical before you go into the submarine service....(or the SS as I like to call it).

Just wondered what this involves?

2. Hi rev, from memory, normal medical, plus lung function (vitalograph) and you must be able to pop your ears! Good dental hygiene too.

Don't take this as gospel pun intended! :lol:

3. Wot SB said and don't underestimate the teeth bit. When I was a DO there one lad had 12 teeth removed as he's never cleaned them properly or been to a dentist before, his gob was rotten (literally).

4. What's with the teeth thing?

5. Would hazard a guess at it being better for everyone if you don't need unexpected dentistry when you are lurking around, perhaps for weeks, in places where dentists are not easily found .....

6. Makes sense actually.

7. Cornwall?

8. Do they give some burly chief a DIY teeth pulling kit just in case?

9. No, they give the MO a 2 day course on pulling teeth and doing fillings!

The reason we're so concerned about teeth is because of the pressure change in a submarine - if you have an abscess in a tooth and it is put under pressure then 2 brufen just isn't going to cut it.

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

How the RN Medical Service has improved, in my day we would have only got asprin. :lol:

11. So, you would have been happy with a baby MA who has had a 2 day course ages ago digging round inside your teeth?!?!?! :cry:

Bring on the Brufen, Aspirin, Codiene et al!!!!! :lol:

12. janner

Diesel Boat man SB, no Docs. or SBA's at sea, just the Coxn with his first aid book. I had a very painful carbuncle(sp?) on one finger on one of our longer trips, one evening instead of a 8mm movie everyone gathered around and watched the Coxn dig it out with a scaple. Still got the scar to prove it

13. Janner

He did give you a local anaesthetic first, didn't he? .........

Do say yes ........

14. janner

No, not even a tot.

15. Another reason for the teeth bit relates back to doing the tank. As your breathing compressed air at the bottom of the tank, any cracks in your teeth will also have compressed air in them. As you start the ascent and the air expands your teeth could, theoretically, shatter.

Although the 30m ascent isn't done anymore, raging toothache on a 3 month dived patrol is not a good thing.

16. Briefly going back to the matter of the popping of the ears... mine sometimes go on one side or the other randomly, normally when i'm running or doing exercise. If I just hold my nose and blow out I have to try multiple times to get my right ear to pop.

Might this cause me an issue?

17. Possibly, can you clear your ears during a pressure change (flying etc)?

18. janner

No problem, once you've blown an eardrum you'll be alright for a while :wink:

19. janner

Wrecker is the internal pressure thing as much nowadays as it was with Diesel Boats?

20. Some of the time, I have had problems post flight for a few hours as well as some pretty painful ears during flight too. Is the pressure change on a boat similar to that felt in flight then?