Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical fail low peak flow

squigga

Midshipman
Thanks @Pye96
It's so silly it's almost laughable as I'm a county athlete runner and still wouldn't back me up most likely...
Hope it goes well for you. Do they not use a spirometer in the medical also or just the pefr reader? I've read the spirometer is actually the most effective one as tons of healthy people fail due to technique despite having alright lungs..

Pye96

Midshipman
They use a peak flow meter and I know my doctor told me that my lungs were healthy and fine! I guess the navy has high standards I suppose

Sumo

War Hero
Thanks @Pye96
It's so silly it's almost laughable as I'm a county athlete runner and still wouldn't back me up most likely...
Hope it goes well for you. Do they not use a spirometer in the medical also or just the pefr reader? I've read the spirometer is actually the most effective one as tons of healthy people fail due to technique despite having alright lungs..
Sometimes very fit bods need to do a bit of exercise to get their lungs working, tank doc used to send the specials and booties for a run up the tower to get their lung's working, but he also knew their medical history? Techniques seems to be the main reason.

Last edited:

squigga

Midshipman
Wonder if you're right then (re the need to get the lungs going) as I've heard others saying they've had to do a mini run to get their score up before

Sumo

War Hero
Wonder if you're right then (re the need to get the lungs going) as I've heard others saying they've had to do a mini run to get their score up before
Only one way to test this, like trying different Techniques, do a pre and post run test on a peak flow meter and keep a record?

Pye96

Midshipman
Quick update for anyone who's interested! I PASSED! The naval doctor was totally bewildered into why I never passed first time and said that I was a very fit young lad, anyways apart from that I did my peak flow again and reached 550 on the flow meter which was a pass mark so I'm over the moon now and I cannot wait for what lies ahead! Thank you so much to everyone with all your help on the techniques because it really paid off, Goodluck to everyone else aswell :)

squigga

Midshipman
Hurray! @Pye96 I'm sure we've spoken before but we're you not in the same boat as me with a slightly lower peak flow but fit as a fiddle?? Lol

hughesy

Lantern Swinger
What's the chow method ? I have had to take my peak and flow again ! Has capita passed me medically fit and a week before I was going to Raleigh
The naval doctor said I wasn't and my date has been moved !

Thanks

Pye96

Midshipman
I was in the same bot as you and yes we've spoken before, the doctor told me there and then after I got a score of 550 that I had passed the medical so I'm over the moon with the result. The best technique for me was the 'CHOW' method it really helped me a lot, just gotta wait for my letter from the navy to confirm my next test which is the fitness test as far as I'm aware

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
What's the chow method ? I have had to take my peak and flow again ! Has capita passed me medically fit and a week before I was going to Raleigh
The naval doctor said I wasn't and my date has been moved !

Thanks

Read the thread through again and all will be revealed.

hughesy

Lantern Swinger
No it was stopped a week before !
But I am retaking the test again
I have spoke to asthma helpline
And I am hitting the scores for my age and height plus also the navy doctor said majority of my scores were fine last time.It's just they were not consistent !!
It took me while to learn the technique.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As is often the case, the issue is technique with regard the reading & consistency with regard the peak flow diary.

In a brief flash of helpfulness @Spidiver offered this:
My techniques was to shout "CHOW" with all the venom as if you'd shout **** when you'd hit your thumb with a hammer. get all the air out on the CH and keep HHHhhhhhhh ing til the W, get ready to catch yer ring piece on the final w
Not noted for his compassion, I've no doubt he'd be inwardly delighted to hear someone had passed, but would probably follow this-up with a 'foxtrot oscar', to bid you on your merry way :)

B

Billy Q

My techniques was to shout "CHOW" with all the venom as if you'd shout **** when you'd hit your thumb with a hammer. get all the air out on the CH and keep HHHhhhhhhh ing til the W, get ready to catch yer ring piece on the final w

Pye96

Midshipman
UPDATE: Gad my Fitness test yesterday which I have been training for a while now and it's fair to say I smashed the 2.4km run in 9:09 I'm
So happy with the result as on the road I achieve just over 10:00! It's fair to say that the peak flow doesn't do any justice haha ;) Goodluck to everyone that sees this and have a wonderful day! HMS Raliegh date awaiting now

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Pilot Medical Fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
F Triage medical phone call fail Joining the Royal Navy 4
NavyRedDevil Medical fail? microscopic haematuria. Submariners 2
G Age 15 BMI of 18, will I fail medical? Health & Fitness 7
T Royal marines medical, pass or fail? The Corps 2
R Help needed medical deferral or fail? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Bewildered re medical fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 49
K Is it likely I will fail the medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
N Colour perception in medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Letter to medicines and medical products suppliers: 17 November 2020 MoD News 0
C Capita and medical history Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
L Face to Face Medical - Covid Lockdown? Joining the Royal Navy 0
B Re-applying and the medical. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Pre-entry Medical Manchester location? Cancer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Excess Weight - COVID challenges and a failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 0
M Pre-joining medical : where is it? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Medical device supplier resolves CMA concerns MoD News 0
T Potential medical discharge Finance & Pensions 29
W Failed Medical- Eczema Joining the Royal Navy 5
M Medical Review Query Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Medical Confusion Joining the Royal Navy 15
A Medical Eligabillity Joining the Royal Navy 16
S Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam's Op-Ed MoD News 0
C Medical Assistant Role Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Emerging Canadian leaders in the medical field secure UK Government's Chevening Scholarship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the COVID-19 alert level MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Scientific Advisor and Chief Medical Officer briefing on coronavirus (COVID-19): 21 September 2020 MoD News 0
B Captia medical Joining the Royal Navy 3
P Medical Appeals waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Medical questionnaire, best practice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Government working with midwives, medical experts, and academics to investigate BAME maternal mortality MoD News 0
M Aircraft controller aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
P Medical History of Opiate Dependance Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
R Medical - Irritation in ears Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on schools and childcare reopening MoD News 0
L MH Susceptible -Medical (Suxamethonium) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Medical Joining the Royal Navy 4
S Medical appeal Joining the Royal Navy 8
S Royal Fleet auxillary Medical exam Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Letter to medicines and medical products suppliers: 3 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on extension of self-isolation period: 30 July 2020 MoD News 0
S Frustrating medical triage Joining the Royal Navy 5
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Medical Device “Certificates of Compliance” / “Attestation of Conformity” have no legal standing under MDR MoD News 0
R GP medical paperwork delays Joining the Royal Navy 7
Y Medical issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B CAPITA MEDICAL Joining the Royal Navy 39