Medical eye sight standards

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jrc96, Aug 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I know this question has been asked a million times before. But is the minimum standard, found on the RN website, correct I.e. 6/12 as I thought it was 6/6 vision that was required. I currently have just under(6/7.5)/verging 6/6, as it keeps changing . Any advice/ further help would be appreciated to clear things up. Thanks

2. Depends what role you are going for ?

3. I want to go for jet pilot. As it's been a life long ambition and the only thing that may hold me back is my eyesight. Also is laser eye surgery allowed?

4. I'm in no way qualified to give any professional advice on this. I sat an aircrew medical earlier on this year and they did check for laser eye surgery by cornea mapping. The eye test is the most stringent I have ever sat. I had no problems with my medical so I don't know what they fail you on. Maybe ninja or nemesis could advise.

Just a quick piece of advice you can't join the navy as a 'jet pilot'. You join as a pilot and dependent on the aptitude you show in training you will be streamed Fixed wing or rotary after elementary flying training.

5. First - avoid corrective eye surgery if you want to be aircrew. I could give you a scare story, but I feel quesy telling it. Previous surgery can be detected on the aircrew eye examination, so not disclosing it isn't advised.
    If you prescription is 6/7, then the RN class that as 6/12. Your eyes aren't fixed, as they are fluid filled and subject to muscles / ligaments, which can distort, also if you are tired, or wear contact lenses, then this can have a temporary effect.
    I would advise you have the pre-entry eye test as part of your application, which is the one the RN will accept. You will be able to make an informed decsion on whether Aircrew is open to you regarding vision.
    N

6. I'm just wondering if there's actually going to be an eye test or if the eyesight paperwork I got my optician to sign last week will be it? She filled out a pretty thorough form and stamped it stating my eyesight, prescription etc?

7. Well, apart from the 16,000 other enquirers you will be competing against who possess things like humility and modesty.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yeah I don't understand the 6/12 un-corrected and 6/6 corrected. I can read the bottom line clearly with both eyes but can just see 6/6 line with my left eye. Would this still not meet the requirements?

9. As i can pass all the parts for the s1 eye sight is that enough?

10. You still have a medical, fitness test , FATs, AIB then the dreaded aircrew medical.

Even if you pass your eye test you've got a long road ahead.

11. I completely understand how difficult it's going to be. I have taken the time to really look into it and the different test I have to go through it just if not understand the eye sight standards part.

12. Apply, do your eye test and go through your medical.

6/12 means that's the limit with no corrective aids eg glasses. With corrective aids your vision must be 6/6.

13. Thanks a lot that's what I needed to know. My vision is better than both those so I should hopefully be ok. I might go for a pre -joining eye test just to make sure, as previously mentioned. Thanks

14. The aircrew medical is far more indeph than your average eye test. I knew of a guy who went through the RAF Cranwell medical and was rejected for the size of his Corneas or something along those lines. Something to do with his cornea was x size or shape which meant in x amount of years his eyes would degrade by x amount, I think.

15. Oh ok so there is a high possibility that I might get rejected then.

16. Im just saying, it's a long process and a heads up that the medical is something you have very little influence over. You may pass the initial medical but the aircrew is something pretty harsh. The guy previously mentioned was like most RAF candidates; came from a cadet, and UAS background. He'd been given the thumbs up from everyone but failed on a medical issue he had no chance of fixing. Then again, maybe that's an RAF filter, who knows

17. The general medical standards are strict, and the aircrew additional standards more so, but for good reason. Until a medical is done there is no out and out way of knowing the outcome that will be reached.
    The comments about all of the other stages to go through are just as tricky and see far more fail than the medical.

18. Nemesis, do you know the reason for the cornea measurements, or why they are looked at? Is it a filter or do the size/shape of the cornea actually become an issue in military aviation ?