Medical Experience - Acne

fishhead

War Hero
Hi all,

What is the current Navy position on Psoriasis? I’ve found 2 versions of JSP, one stating only a bar to entry if over 5%, another just saying psoriasis may be a bar.

On my records it states I had a single occurrence as a child (head and feet) but I have been symptomless since (20+ years).

I applied to Army Reserve last year but they declared me PMU as it’s a bar if it affects feet.

I appealed this stating the above that I don’t have any issues but they declared it could flare at any time!

I am in the process of getting the diagnosis reviewed as with my limited knowledge of the condition it is meant to be life long and I haven’t had anything since I was 8, I.e potentially misdiagnosed

Just wondering if Navy will allow my application with my records currently or will they be same as Army?

Thanks
Based on past replies on any medical problem the reply has always been that the same standards apply across all the services.
You could reapply and see how your new application goes. There is an appeal system if you think the decisions are unfair. Search this site and you will find plenty to read on the appeals system.

soleil

War Hero
Hi all,

What is the current Navy position on Psoriasis? I’ve found 2 versions of JSP, one stating only a bar to entry if over 5%, another just saying psoriasis may be a bar.

On my records it states I had a single occurrence as a child (head and feet) but I have been symptomless since (20+ years).

I applied to Army Reserve last year but they declared me PMU as it’s a bar if it affects feet.

I appealed this stating the above that I don’t have any issues but they declared it could flare at any time!

I am in the process of getting the diagnosis reviewed as with my limited knowledge of the condition it is meant to be life long and I haven’t had anything since I was 8, I.e potentially misdiagnosed

Just wondering if Navy will allow my application with my records currently or will they be same as Army?

Thanks

NN

The reference for Psoriasis would be JSP 950.

I would urge you to proceed with your application, this will give you the chance to engage with the medical staff and get a definitive decision.

NavyNew1

Midshipman
Thanks for replies. Yes I was kind of expecting them all to sing from the same hymn sheet, just hoping common sense prevails!

Nothing is worth having if you don’t have to fight for it.......

CengEngineer

Midshipman
Evening,
I can provide abit of insight as the original poster; I passed the medical despite being on a topical for acne (prescription). I actually did ask the medic if Its the same for other skin conditions and they said as long as the skin condition was relatively in check/would not flare in training and did not regularly flare WITH medication, you can be fit for service. Obviously it is done on each basis but I would apply and be hopeful. It was mentioned they had to be slightly more lenient with skin conditions as in pervious years they were failing people who had no reason to be failed.

NavyNew1

Midshipman
Thanks, that sounds a bit more promising.

I’m not getting my hopes up as I’ve been through this with Army and they simply PMU’d me before ever meeting me at AC.

Am I right in thinking that I see a doctor before they see my records?

CengEngineer

Midshipman
Don't dismiss it, my friend failed entry to the army with eczema but passed for the RN! You will will in forms, then have a triage call and then in person medical. The triage is where they will discuss anything with you.

NavyNew1

Midshipman
All looking positive so far. Spoke to my AFCO and they checked with navy medical who gave the go ahead to continue with application.

Form sent and eye test booked, next for virtual interview, so all good atm.

It seems Navy aren’t quite as strict as Army re skin conditions, it seems they are more concerned about active conditions rather than previous history. The Army almost reject you with anything on your records.

Thanks for info, I’m far more hopeful of progressing to actually starting my training

NavyNew1

Midshipman
Update.

Passed Triage, the nurse just requested some follow up documents from GP.

I was then deferred by Capita doc and referred to SMO(SE) for final decision. SMO then PMU’d me.

I am appealing as my AFCO has recommended I do, but I’m not hopeful.

Just giving an update......

Waspie

War Hero
Update.

Passed Triage, the nurse just requested some follow up documents from GP.

I was then deferred by Capita doc and referred to SMO(SE) for final decision. SMO then PMU’d me.

I am appealing as my AFCO has recommended I do, but I’m not hopeful.

Just giving an update......
Appreciate you getting back with the update. Still hope. Many have successfully appealed.