Medical Experience - Acne

CengEngineer

Midshipman
Hi there,

Has anyone passed the medical whilst currently on prescription for acne? I am on a topical cream for my face (mild acne).

Any advice is appreciated as the guidelines are very vague.

CengEngineer

Midshipman
Hi Soleil,

Thanks for the reply. The section states:

"Candidates usibf a topical treatment and/or oral antibiotics may be graded FIT provided pre-treatment severity of acne would not have affected the ability to wear militsry clothing or the ability to operate military equipment"

How would you interpret this? You can pass and continue to sue the topical whilst in training? (I understand no medical officers are on this forum, I am jist looking for experienced opinions before getting my hopes up).

Many thanks

soleil

War Hero
I will ask Ninja Stoker for clarification on the use of the topical treatment while training.

My interpretation of the paragraph is that the Medical Examiner who does the medicals for applications can declare a candidate who is using topical treatments/antibiotics to be fit and able to proceed on to the next stage of the process as long as the severity of the acne for which these topical treatments/antibiotics have been described is not of the kind which would prevent the candidate wearing military clothing or operating military equipment.

I imagine that this caveat is because acne of a particularly severe type might flare up again during training or later.

When you think about what your skin is like when you have your acne, do you imagine it stopping you wearing your uniform or operating equipment?

Which role are you looking at, by the way?

Last edited:

CengEngineer

Midshipman
My acne is mild and I wear PPE at work (safety glassee, hard hat and sonetiems visors) without ita causing any bother. So arent concerned about it being aggravated.

I am applying for marine engineer officer.

soleil

War Hero
It sounds to me that the type of acne affecting you, then, is not the kind which would prevent the wearing of uniform and that the Medical Examiner would be able to declare you fit, as long as there is nothing else of significance medically.

I thought that you might be applying for MEO because of your user name. You're applying for a really good job; it's a role for which a need for good candidates clearly exists. Fingers crossed!

I've asked Ninja to have a look at this thread too, just to add anything I've missed and also to comment on the use of the topical treatment while at BRNC.

He'll probably pop up in the morning.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Generally those joining the Royal Navy or Royal Marines need to be 'prescription free' in the case of acne. More here: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/acne-on-back.111525/#post-695392

Two reasons, one is the potential side effects of the medication, primarily, secondly in the case of Royal Marines, the odds are visible acne on the back and shoulders can get chafed and infected.

For RN, this issue tends to be confined to the medication side effects however, if eczema is also evident, the synthetic oils and greases can be a show stopper for engineering branches.

CengEngineer

Midshipman
Afternoon Ninja_Stoker,

Thanks for the response, thats good to know. I have never had a problem with eczema, just very mild acne on my nose/forehead. Everything else is crystal cleae. I will have a chat with the medical officer and see what they say. Hopefully its not a show stopper for me in this case.

CengEngineer

Midshipman
Evening,

I have general query regarding the MEO role - I thought it easier to post on the back of my previous question instead of starting a new feed.

I undestand the MEO generally spends 2/3 of the time onshore. Is this the same for the Ratings? Or does a ship have a core Ratings crew and MEO's rotate onshore, spending less time away than Ratings?

Further, how many years can an MEO expect to be sea-going before being desk bound?
I am trying to get a better understanding of 'expected' durations at sea for discussions with the family - I work offshore just now so have a comparison against.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Evening,

I have general query regarding the MEO role - I thought it easier to post on the back of my previous question instead of starting a new feed.

I undestand the MEO generally spends 2/3 of the time onshore. Is this the same for the Ratings? Or does a ship have a core Ratings crew and MEO's rotate onshore, spending less time away than Ratings?

Further, how many years can an MEO expect to be sea-going before being desk bound?
I am trying to get a better understanding of 'expected' durations at sea for discussions with the family - I work offshore just now so have a comparison against.
Officers and ratings will get drafted to a ship/submarine for a period of 2 .5 to 3 years, (sometimes less, sometimes more). Once the draft is over officers will go to a shore role for a period of years before his/her next sea draft. Ratings may go to an inboard draft or just do a course and back to sea.

Officers can expect a minimum of 3 sea drafts in their career, ratings will have at least double that in 18 year career.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A RNR - No medical experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
shinson Medical Experience Joining the Royal Navy 7
L My medical experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
B CAPITA MEDICAL Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Deos: delivering faster and better mobile medical screening MoD News 0
P What’s assessed on aircrew medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS MOD delivers 10,000 items of critical medical equipment to NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Medical device suppliers’ merger raises competition concerns MoD News 0
Hanginout1664 Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Medical- Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Update from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the UK alert level MoD News 0
T Medical Bars? Joining the Royal Navy 4
D medical triage call eczema Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS New ACCEA Medical Director announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior civil servant and former lecturer in medical statistics appointed to Joint Biosecurity Centre MoD News 0
H Medical Cadetships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on an update to coronavirus symptoms: 18 March 2020 MoD News 0
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Puma helicopter performs first island medical evacuation MoD News 0
L trying to get my medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
C Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Border Force prioritising checks on medical equipment MoD News 0
J Medical- psycathric (sorry for spelling!!) Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS UK medicines and medical devices regulator investigating 14 cases of fake or unlicensed COVID-19 medical products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor waives duties and VAT on vital medical imports MoD News 0
Avocadolol Capita and medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: global crackdown sees a rise in unlicenced medical products related to COVID-19 MoD News 0
B How is the medical triage done Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
ChewieTheWAFU Medical Discharge Finance & Pensions 1
P Possible medical issue Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Medical records? Joining the Royal Navy 29
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 2
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Medical review Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Royal visit to meet patients and staff at Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre MoD News 0
P Pilot Medical Fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer for England announces four further coronavirus cases MoD News 0
S Medical reviewed by senior medical officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Statement from the four UK Chief Medical Officers on Novel Coronavirus MoD News 0
C Medical records Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
I Failing medical Joining the Royal Navy 10
M Medical Technician recruitment RFA 0
I Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Medical question regarding an allergic reaction (sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Medical appeal reactive airways disease Health & Fitness 4
N Medical exemptions confusion Health & Fitness 8