Medical Examination Question

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cadetsmum, Oct 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With regards to the new entrants medical, on what grounds can the doctor at that medical reject a candidate?

I'm thinking specifically here of things that the candidate have replied yes to on their pre-medical questionaniare. Would the doctor have to refer a candidate upwards or would s/he have the authority to reject a candidate?

Also if something was discovered at the medical that was a reason for rejection would the candidate be told the reason for rejection
  2. There is a Joint Service Publication which details conditions which affect entry to the Armed Forces. This is the basis of a decision to accept or reject a candidate on medical grounds. A degree of it is common sense. The examining doctor (usually a civilian with appropriate training) can reject a candidate if they are contrary to the criteria but can refer to a uniformed medical officer (usually an occupational physician) if there is doubt. All appeals go to a uniformed occupational physician.

It is normal for the candidate to be told why they fail.
  3. thanks angrydoc

I know the document you're refering to (JSP 346 lol!) and I totally understand what you are saying.

In this case though the candidate wasn't told why she had failed the medical (although, like Junior, has an idea)

Its just that I was under the impression that if a candidate has ticked yes to a question on the pre-medical questionnaire, it would have to be referred to INM for further investigation / approval.

thanks - I'll pass your comments on.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Interestingly, the Medical Examination for those joining the RN or RM has just this month been contracted out to a third-party company.

In many cases this will mean that some of the Medical Examiners conducting Royal Navy & Royal Marine medicals will may well be doing so for the first time. So far as I'm aware JSP 346 is not yet accessable as a "live document" in the public domain, however when it is, it will doubtless give public access to the specific parameters which will greatly benefit those seeking answers to queries regarding the medical standards for entry or indeed those wishing to pursue medical appeals.

Most AFCOs will probably have a slight backlog of individuals waiting for medical examinations whilst the new system is rolled-out nationally & inevitable glitches are overcome, (such as not having included reservists or officer medicals in the contract).

All being well, things will be running smoothly & back on track soon.
  5. I would suspect that this document is unlikely to be released into the wild.

A copy of the JSP is issued to all 'civilian medical practitioners required to examine applicants for entry to the Armed Forces'.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

There may well be hard copies of JSP 346 floating around still however, with reference the 'live document' status of the JSP, once printed off the intranet, updates, modifications, corrections, amendments and changes in standards for entry are not issued like they used to be in hard copy for BR's etc.

A good example of this is the ongoing saga with regard the Visual Acuity standards of Aircraft Controller, which was changed from VA2 to VA1 without notification, or indeed stated reason, whilst ATCO remained VA3.
  7. Releasing the JSP would be a bad idea as it is full of medical terms which would confuse. One of my functions here (as I see it) is to interpret the JSP and apply it to individuals. Whilst my life would be easier if people could look it up themselves, I suspect many would get the wrong end of the stick and either think they were guaranteed entry or guaranteed refusal.

Not my call though!
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Have to say, my comments about the advantages of the JSP going online publicly were tongue-in-cheek :wink:

However, whereas previously the AFCO ME's could access the intranet for the current version of the JSP, the new contracted Medical Examiners do not have access to the electronic version. Therefore amendments, corrections, updates & changes will need to be carefully managed. Not that the old system was without fault, admittedly.