Medical Eligibility Question - Nasal Polyps

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Schmiitty, Feb 19, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Good morning all,

    I am looking for a bit of advice. I am very interested in applying for the Navy, specifically as either an AET or ET(ME). However, I have been reading through the medical eligibility document before applying, which mentions pre-existing medical conditions. Under this, in the Ear, Nose & Throat section it very vaguely states 'Nasal polyps'.

    Now, I had a nasal polyp (a singular polyp, not several which would if I am correct constitute polyposis) 5 years ago, which was surgically removed. Since the procedure, I have had no further issues, no medications or treatments etc. I have found and read the following thread:

    However, it would seem the OP had managed to get through the medical examination. What I am after, I suppose is advice whether this previous treatment I have had would be a definite bar to entry, not an issue or somewhere in between. Normally, I would ask the recruiting office to hear it from the horses mouth, but I currently live in Germany (BFG) and this, then, is a bit of a challenge.
    Thank you for the replies and any advice given.

    Kind regards,
  2. Anybody? If not should I get a mod to delete this?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    To be honest, every case is different & even a medical professional (which I'm not), would be hard-pressed to give a definitive answer without perusing your medical notes specifically relating to your medical history on this issue.

    It doesn't stop you applying, but like everyone else, the outcome cannot be accurately predicted beyond being aware of the fact that the full medical history will probably need to be reviewed by a service medical professional.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. If Capita have informed me that my medical test results (for investigation into a heart murmur found during the Capita medical) are going to being sent for review to a service medical professional, how long does reviewing of this information usually take? Just asking if this would place a significant further delay on my application, Capita loosely said 'this will delay things', but given that I've already been TMU for 4/5 months, can I expect another couple of weeks to find out if I'm Medically Fit or would this take a few months? Thanks for any guidance

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Unfortunately I guess it would be a case of how long is a piece of string Squashbanana
  6. Thanks I understand each 'case' is unique. Hopefully my string is just a week long ha

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Good luck I hope for you, you have no further delays!
  8. Thanks again and me too. I have everyone within a 10 mile radius with their fingers crossed lol

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Thanks Ninja_Stoker, I will try getting in touch with the AFCO. I did speak on the phone to someone from there who said due to shortages of certain trades that it might lead to more leniance, within reason, in terms of past medical issues, but I think she was Capita as opposed to actual Navy. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to apply and send of my medical documentation as and when it is required. Appreciate the answer and good to know there is no clear cut yes/no answer I suppose. Better than a definitive no, anyway.

  10. Angrydoc, you say that is it association with nasal polyps. I understand that if it is treated with medication such as nasal spray there is a good chance of a recurrence, whereas if it is surgically removed there is a much lower chance of this happening. If I have been five years clear and have backing medical documentation to support this, do you think from a medical perspective (I am assuming you are a doctor, correct me if I am wrong) I have a reasonably good chance, or is it difficult to tell? Forgive me for asking you to reinvent the wheel, I just do not want to raise my hopes too considerably if I might have, say, only a 1/10 chance of being given the all clear by medical.
    As I have replied to Ninja_Stoker, the only way to get a definitive answer I know is to apply and see what happens, but would be nice to go in not completely blind.
    Thank you for your response so far, I appreciate it.

Share This Page