Medical - ECG scan

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Salmon951753, Jun 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if an ECG scan is part of the Royal Navy Officer Medical?
  2. Nah its pretty basic.
    The closest thing to the heart during the medical is measuring your heart rate/blood pressure.

Nothing to worry about, unless you're planning on having a heart attack anytime soon?..
  3. If you suspect you have a heart problem,you should let them know. It could become an issue for you during training.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst not professionally qualified to answer medical recruiting questions, the only time an ECG is routinely required is if the individual has a heart disorder history, so far as I'm aware.

The rubber gloves thing during the medical, is a completely different issue. Suffice to say, you are advised to tick the "Warm Hands First?" box on the questionnaire.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Do you have concerns about your cardiac health, Salmon?
  6. In a nutshell I have just been to the AOSB Main Board medical today in which I got an ECG scan which flagged up a problem which prevents me from joining the army, but a problem which would not cause a pratical block to training more a case of the MOD ticking boxes. It depends on: 1. If the RN officer medical includes an ECG scan and 2. If the Army and Navy exchange medical info for prospective applicants
    • Old Old x 1
  7. Ectopic hearbeat?

8. I don't think he is pregnant!!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Wolff-Parkinson-White-Syndrome however I have none of the symptons and would be able to lead a normal life (confirmed by two doctors)
  10. The signs and symptoms show clearly why you could be barred from entry, shame.
  11. Bar to entry in all 3 services I'm afraid, but you already knew that, didn't you?

And yes, information is shared.
  12. I'm thinking that there would be plenty of serving personnel with lots of medical problems, that have not been spotted, by the Docs or divulged by the person,who was aware!! That would, have debarred them from entry..I know that for a fact !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

What's wrong with you Scouse?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Happened to me.
    Had symptoms of epilepsy but never realised till later life.
    All came to a head later during my career in the mob. When I had a full seizure.
    MOD decided I was unfit for further sea service.
    Don't understand it. I spent most of my naval career falling over.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. An ECG isn't part of the medical, but as you mention it, I suspect you have a reason to worry about having one. If you want to be aircrew you will have one taken later in the process.
    If you have or think you have a problem, good advice is to tell the Dr, be honest.