Medical / Dental exam question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Omelette, May 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey folks, I'm 26 and planning on joining the navy this year, as soon as I've dropped about 15kg or more.

I'm slightly concerned about the dental exam - my teeth haven't been gazed at by a dentist for many a year now. I know for a fact that my left wisdom tooth has got to go and I have a nasty feeling that there's plenty more work in there for the sadis...I mean, dentist.

Can I sign up and submit to the tender care of the naval dentists afterwards or will they show me the door and ask me to come back after fattening the wallet of a private dentist?

2. I don't recall a dental examination before joining, perhaps it's changed since.

Once in though you will get regular dental check ups and the work done is free.

The check ups are not optional though, they are compulsory.

3. I never had a dental exam for the pre-joining tests and I'm probably the most recent member of this forum to pass through all that. Maybe they do at Raleigh?

4. Cheers for the replies folks!

Looks like naval dentistry for me. Is there a commendation for not crying like a little girl during the op?

5. My last time at Raleigh, the Dentists would always say that the busiest time for them was the first few days after a new entry joins, as they are checking, cleaning and fixing teeth that haven't been taken care of for years (not many NHS dentists I assume).

So you will get a check up and any immediate repair work will be carried out; long term, non serious stuff may have to wait until Phase 2 training. To my knowledge, very few people get asked to leave due to teeth problems.

Edited to add smart-ass comment: There is a way to avoid most dental problems though - brush your teeth properly and use floss :wink:

6. I had my medical a few months ago, the doctor had a (fairly cursory) look at my teeth.

7. That's a good point actually, everyone's examination seems to be different.

Didja bite him? :D

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I reckon the medica/dental treatment in the RN is one of the only perks left that we have. I've received a few grand's worth of dental work in the Mob - once you're in you'll receive regular sessions and get treatment as necessary; in fact if you need lots of work doing you'll find plenty of Dental Officers/Hygienists volunteering to work on your gums.. :D

9. No doubt if you have them in a glass of water by the bed SgtP?

10. I don't believe you have a check up before you join, as Shakey says though an annual check up (normally followed by the Hygenist) is compulsory. They'll even let you know your due one so you don't have to remember it youself!

11. There you go SgtP??
    Dentures and a wake-up call!!!!