Medical delays/URNU/RNR

Is it possible to join URNU or RNR while waiting for medical documents, from previous armed forces service? There is apparently more than 3 months delay now to get service records sent to capita, before the medical process can even begin and I understand from posts here that it is a long process from there too. I don't begin to understand how it can take so long, particularly as the candidate has copies of them anyway?
Thanks if anyone can help with the first question.

The RNR requires the same medical entry standards as the regulars so you would be stuck in a phase 0 class doing little of value. If you're a student and your local unit has spaces left (they're probably doing their intake interviews very soon) you could join an URNU and might even get a run out in a p2000 by the time you get a joining date.

How much use you'll get out of an URNU is anyone's guess, they resemble a jumped up Sea Cadets unit most of the time (with a bit more getting hammered) but by most accounts are very fun.

The RNR requires the same medical entry standards as the regulars so you would be stuck in a phase 0 class doing little of value. If you're a student and your local unit has spaces left (they're probably doing their intake interviews very soon) you could join an URNU and might even get a run out in a p2000 by the time you get a joining date.

How much use you'll get out of an URNU is anyone's guess, they resemble a jumped up Sea Cadets unit most of the time (with a bit more getting hammered) but by most accounts are very fun.
Thanks for the reply. Would the URNU accept someone who has to wait a lot longer for medical clearance than the average student? And if they did, would that mean not being allowed to do anything anyway?

As always @Ninja_Stoker will have all the answers but if it's anything like the RNR you'll be unable to take part in any physical training (at most, one night a month) until your medical is complete.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The URNU CO has the ability to apply a degree of discretion with regard the medical suitability of those wishing to join the URNU - on the understanding that being accepted for the URNU doesn't mean the individual can join the RN or RNR.

RN medical records take an age to retrieve at present because those tasked with retrieving them now number only a third of the staff compared to last year. Don't know why, but don't think it's anything to do with Capita.

Technically, those with former military service cannot be officially passed fit to join the URNU until their former service medical records have been thoroughly checked. The reason is that we're seeing increasing numbers of individuals medically discharged from the service, trying to rejoin by the "back door".

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Recent historical fact :

RN rejoining interview end June.

Medical Triage phone interview 5July.

Time it took local GP surgery to send civvy medical records, 4 weeks.

Time it took Capita to receive previous RN medical records, less than time it took GP.

Face to face medical, 1 Sep.

Therefore 3 months could be an exaggeration.

Recent historical fact :

RN rejoining interview end June.

Medical Triage phone interview 5July.

Time it took local GP surgery to send civvy medical records, 4 weeks.

Time it took Capita to receive previous RN medical records, less than time it took GP.

Face to face medical, 1 Sep.

Therefore 3 months could be an exaggeration.
Its been 2 months already and capita won't do the triage call until they are in receipt of the service records. But the candidate has copies of both service and gp records, and was not medically discharged. Can the CO of the URNU review them directly or is it only done through the official process, no short cuts possible? And if that is so, does it then become too late for this year?

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Sorry I am in absolutely no position to comment on the rules, just telling you factually exactly what has just happened to a current rejoining applicant.

O in
Sorry I am in absolutely no position to comment on the rules, just telling you factually exactly what has just happened to a current rejoining applicant.
Of course. Thank you for your replies. Time will tell and patience clearly a virtue which will hopefully one day be rewarded.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Its been 2 months already and capita won't do the triage call until they are in receipt of the service records. But the candidate has copies of both service and gp records, and was not medically discharged. Can the CO of the URNU review them directly or is it only done through the official process, no short cuts possible? And if that is so, does it then become too late for this year?
I've known URNU students provisionally join a unit for several months pending medical clearance but it depends on the individual circumstances. The usual rider is that someone could be allowed to join in the drill and shoreside activities but not go to sea or undertake physically demanding aspects until cleared "fit to enter". It's a bit of a grey area for URNU students but the idea is to allow a bit of latitude where possible as not all students will join the service after graduating.

Unfortunately Capita will only go off the original medical records, not copies, due to the fact things can be omitted.

I don't think it's too late for this years entry - some AFCOs can't get medical appointments for a couple of months and we've only just started freshers. Oxford Uni, for example doesn't start recruiting until October.

I've known URNU students provisionally join a unit for several months pending medical clearance but it depends on the individual circumstances. The usual rider is that someone could be allowed to join in the drill and shoreside activities but not go to se or undertake physically demanding aspects until cleared "fit to enter". It's a bit of a grey area for URNU students but the idea is to allow a bit of latitude where possible as not all students will join the service after graduating.

Unfortunately Capita will only go off the original medical records, not copies, due to the fact things can be omitted.

I don't think it's too late for this years entry - some AFCOs can't get medical appointments for a couple of months and we've only just started freshers. Oxford Uni, for example doesn't start recruiting until October.
The URNU interview is booked. Will this require in depth knowledge of the RN, similar to AIB, or will it be more 'personal'/standard job interview based. And, in your opinion, will they be aware of other open applications on going (eg RMR) so best to be honest, or just focus on URNU for the best chance of getting a place?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The URNU interview is booked. Will this require in depth knowledge of the RN, similar to AIB, or will it be more 'personal'/standard job interview based. And, in your opinion, will they be aware of other open applications on going (eg RMR) so best to be honest, or just focus on URNU for the best chance of getting a place?
The main point is the individual can only join the RMR or RNR, not both simultaneously. URNU is RNR, albeit List 7 (non-deployable). Only one income can be drawn and only one rate/rank held per person.

The URNU interview, unless they have been more recently formalised, is pretty much up to the unit CO and they will advise the students what to expect. On the URNU interviews I've sat in, the questions revolved around the individual, their degree, the ability to balance stidies and commit to the unit, future career aspirations and a few questions on what the individual knows about the URNU and the Navy. In my experience, the interviews were quite relaxed but nowhere near as detailed as a formal service selection interview and the level of service knowledge required significantly less than that expected of an Officer applicant.

Holding troop for RMR ( for a female) would be unpaid for the whole year I think until September 2018 and would just involve Saturday morning practice for prmc as I understand it? Paying own transport to and from the unit.
Could URNU potentially give useful background training/experience, as well as being 'fun', or is it mostly about drinking. There seems to be various opinions here but generally positive?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Holding troop for RMR ( for a female) would be unpaid for the whole year I think until September 2018 and would just involve Saturday morning practice for prmc as I understand it? Paying own transport to and from the unit.
Could URNU potentially give useful background training/experience, as well as being 'fun', or is it mostly about drinking. There seems to be various opinions here but generally positive?
OTC/URNU/UAS are much of a muchness. They are meant to be enjoyable, be a university society and give an insight into the Armed Forces. Until recently they were not specifically aimed at recruitment but more recently, to justify the cost and purpose, recruiting forms part of their function.

As long as the RMR are happy for an URNU student to attend holding troop, then all's good. Obviously a decision would need to be made at the point of entry and the AFCO recruit test, selection interview and AFCO medical fully passed to join in the phys elements of holding troop.

OTC/URNU/UAS are much of a muchness. They are meant to be enjoyable, be a university society and give an insight into the Armed Forces. Until recently they were not specifically aimed at recruitment but more recently, to justify the cost and purpose, recruiting forms part of their function.

As long as the RMR are happy for an URNU student to attend holding troop, then all's good. Obviously a decision would need to be made at the point of entry and the AFCO recruit test, selection interview and AFCO medical fully passed to join in the phys elements of holding troop.
Thank you for all the information. That has been very helpful and is much appreciated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
ex_wasp_L2 Blue Jokes 0
The_Caretaker Land Ops 0