Medical Before Interview query

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mr.Ace, Sep 23, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I was wondering why i am having my medical before my interview? A friend of mine recently received and passed there interview and was then given there medical date.
    Any help would be great.

Kind regards.

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The correct sequence should be Recruiting Test, Interview, eye test, then Medical, PJFT, SC....

Sometimes, if there are medical issues that are declared upfront, a medical may be booked first so that a definitive answer regarding medical suitability can be promptly delivered.

3. I did not declare any medical conditions up front....
    Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Hmmn, can't think of any other reason unless your AFCO are under-manned (gapped) & perhaps keeping people moving forward by booking them for medical, pending an interview.

5. Ok, thanks for your help stoker. :)

6. Its been quite some time since Ninja was 'just a stoker'! :D

7. Have you applied as an officer and your friend a rating? The process is slightly different then, officers have their medical and fitness test before the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. To my knowledge we both applied for rating. Unless my RT score was high enough and they changed my application, however i doubt thats the case.

9. Doubt they would change your application without asking you. So no idea pal. Good luck though.

10. Yeah thanks for your help :)

11. What are you applying for?

12. Weapons engineer. Fleet.

13. Very nice. Good luck. Just to warn you, it's likely to be a very lengthy process. I'm applying for AOP and it's been 15 months and I finally have my AIB next week.

14. Cheers goodluck to you too. And yeah its a long process but ive got a job while i wait :) thanks for the help

15. I did my RT on the 1st October. The next thing I got sent out was my medical forms. I booked an eyesight test on the 10th of that month and filled in the medical questionnaire. Once I'd sent that and my eyesight results in I was called up for Medical on the 12th November. Since then, however, I have had my interview arranged for the 3rd November.

Everything took place in a completely different order to what I had been advised was the way it generally worked. I think the AFCO just do it in a way that fits each individual element in as soon as possible. If so, great! The sooner that everything's done the better.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Unless joining as an Officer, the interview should be before the medical.

That said it really doesn't make sense why the sequence is different for Officer applicants.

17. Fair enough then. I was told a few different things by different people so I wasn't sure what the order was supposed to be. In all fairness, my advisor has been great, he's kept me up to date with everything and everything has happened exactly as he has said. The confusion came from some of the guys giving us a heads up as to the process when we took the RT. Seeing as they were speaking both to potential officers and ratings, it makes sense why it may not have been correct.

18. When I applied last time (2 years ago) I got right to the very end but unfortunately had to withdraw my application. The process went; RT, eye test, medical, PJFT, interview and the SC. I didn't get to the interview stage although it was booked. Sounds like your CA is doing it the 'old' way. Doesn't really matter though :)

19. I have been given my medical questionnaire and my eye test form, I have passed the RT. I've been advised as soon as my eye test is done to book an interview, then it'll be medical then PJFT.