Medical Bars?

TIVA

Hi all,
Apologies, this is a long message!

I'm hoping to join the RN as a qualified ODP and have started the application process, however, reading through the medical bars I have a few questions.
One is in regard to migraines, and the other Rosacea.

When I was about 16 I was diagnosed with 'hormonal migraines' and was prescribed Sumatriptan, however, my step-mum (Nurse) gets debilitating migraines so pushed this diagnosis at my GP appointment. I'll still pick up this prescription every now and then and generally keep the tablets in my work bag.
However I'm sure what I have are not migraines, just dehydration headaches, especially as I work in a NHS hospital doing 12-hour shifts in theatre where breaks are scarce.
I get none of the general migraine symptoms, just my head hurts - which I can get rid of with paracetamol and a personal fluid challenge.
I do not get any visual auras, sickness or limb weakness.
I last picked up the prescription in March as I knew drinking breaks would be even more limited by wearing full PPE due to COVID, and I was also blasting through my dissertation.
The new medical tables don't have time limits on for 'Migraine of recurrent headache'. Will this be a bar to entry?

In March 2019 I went to the GP with concern over the skin on my nose. I saw about 3 different GP's who decided it was Rosacea, although they prescribed me creams and ABX for acne... I paid privately to see a Dermatologist who said it was more typical of rosacea than anything like lupus and prescribed me an ivermectin cream to apply. As of January-ish my skin has been completely clear with slight redness due to broken capillaries. Although Rosacea is not mentioned in the Medical Table, could this be an issue?

Again, sorry for the lengthy message!
I appreciate any comments!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
There is no one on the forum that is qualified to give you answers to medical questions. Your best course is to speak to the AFCO. In the meantime have a look through the search facility a lot of stuff has been covered. Good luck.

TIVA

Hi Janner, thank you for the reply.
I did speak to my AFCO and was told to get in contact with my GP so they can add any notes onto my medical making it as up-to-date as possible.
My GP, unfortunately, was very unhelpful, extremely rude and practically put the phone down on me.
I have read through a lot of what I could find on here but was unable to find much about rosacea.
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with similar issues.

fishhead

War Hero
@TIVA The tried and rested method of finding out if various medical conditions fall foul of what the Armed Services require is to proceed with your application when all your medical records will be inspected and a decision given on your suitability. If you disagree with any aspect of their decision it can be appealed. Appeals have been discussed many times on this forum so may like to see how they are conducted by using the search box.
Good luck with your application.

soleil

War Hero
Hi all,
Apologies, this is a long message!

I'm hoping to join the RN as a qualified ODP and have started the application process, however, reading through the medical bars I have a few questions.
One is in regard to migraines, and the other Rosacea.

When I was about 16 I was diagnosed with 'hormonal migraines' and was prescribed Sumatriptan, however, my step-mum (Nurse) gets debilitating migraines so pushed this diagnosis at my GP appointment. I'll still pick up this prescription every now and then and generally keep the tablets in my work bag.
However I'm sure what I have are not migraines, just dehydration headaches, especially as I work in a NHS hospital doing 12-hour shifts in theatre where breaks are scarce.
I get none of the general migraine symptoms, just my head hurts - which I can get rid of with paracetamol and a personal fluid challenge.
I do not get any visual auras, sickness or limb weakness.
I last picked up the prescription in March as I knew drinking breaks would be even more limited by wearing full PPE due to COVID, and I was also blasting through my dissertation.
The new medical tables don't have time limits on for 'Migraine of recurrent headache'. Will this be a bar to entry?

In March 2019 I went to the GP with concern over the skin on my nose. I saw about 3 different GP's who decided it was Rosacea, although they prescribed me creams and ABX for acne... I paid privately to see a Dermatologist who said it was more typical of rosacea than anything like lupus and prescribed me an ivermectin cream to apply. As of January-ish my skin has been completely clear with slight redness due to broken capillaries. Although Rosacea is not mentioned in the Medical Table, could this be an issue?

Again, sorry for the lengthy message!
I appreciate any comments!
TIVA

The situation re eligibility and medical conditions is clearer in a document called JSP 950.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Letter to medicines and medical products suppliers: 3 August 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on extension of self-isolation period: 30 July 2020 MoD News 0
S Frustrating medical triage Joining the Royal Navy 5
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Medical Device “Certificates of Compliance” / “Attestation of Conformity” have no legal standing under MDR MoD News 0
R GP medical paperwork delays Joining the Royal Navy 7
Y Medical issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B CAPITA MEDICAL Joining the Royal Navy 31
MoD_RSS Deos: delivering faster and better mobile medical screening MoD News 0
P What’s assessed on aircrew medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS MOD delivers 10,000 items of critical medical equipment to NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Medical device suppliers’ merger raises competition concerns MoD News 0
Hanginout1664 Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Medical- Rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Update from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the UK alert level MoD News 0
D medical triage call eczema Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS New ACCEA Medical Director announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior civil servant and former lecturer in medical statistics appointed to Joint Biosecurity Centre MoD News 0
H Medical Cadetships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Medical Experience - Acne Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on an update to coronavirus symptoms: 18 March 2020 MoD News 0
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Puma helicopter performs first island medical evacuation MoD News 0
L trying to get my medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
C Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Border Force prioritising checks on medical equipment MoD News 0
J Medical- psycathric (sorry for spelling!!) Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS UK medicines and medical devices regulator investigating 14 cases of fake or unlicensed COVID-19 medical products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor waives duties and VAT on vital medical imports MoD News 0
Avocadolol Capita and medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: global crackdown sees a rise in unlicenced medical products related to COVID-19 MoD News 0
B How is the medical triage done Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
ChewieTheWAFU Medical Discharge Finance & Pensions 1
P Possible medical issue Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Medical records? Joining the Royal Navy 29
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 2
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Medical review Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Royal visit to meet patients and staff at Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre MoD News 0
P Pilot Medical Fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Chief Medical Officer for England announces four further coronavirus cases MoD News 0
S Medical reviewed by senior medical officer Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Statement from the four UK Chief Medical Officers on Novel Coronavirus MoD News 0
C Medical records Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
I Failing medical Joining the Royal Navy 10
M Medical Technician recruitment RFA 0