Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Medical - asthma

@Nrecruit I have just put asthma in to the search box(near the top on the right) and it put up a good number of references. I would check on the more recent discussions and you may find the answer you're looking for.

The issue with regard repeat prescriptions of oral steroids beyond age five for asthma is that it is generally the case that it indicates a recurrent life-threatening condition and as such, a bar to entry.

That said, if the oral steroids were prescribed due to an upper respiratory tract infection rather than asthma, then that is not an issue.

The tip is to simply be honest because it will otherwise bite you in the arse sooner or later and if it's as you state, then you'll be passed fit anyway.

Fail to declare, prepare to be discharged permanently for making a fraudulent application at any point thereafter. When you fill out the medical questionnaire you also sign a consent form granting the service full access to your entire civilian medical records. Beware paying heed to plantpots that believe it's a good idea to tell porkies when embarking on a potential lifelong career.

Thank you for your reply!

Do you know if I am able to have a 28 day peak flow chart ready to give the doctor on the day and also a copy of my full medical history (to speed up the process and rather than wait for my doctors as they're useless!)

Thank you for your reply!

Do you know if I am able to have a 28 day peak flow chart ready to give the doctor on the day and also a copy of my full medical history (to speed up the process and rather than wait for my doctors as they're useless!)
The peak flow diary has now been ditched....but it's not a bad idea to get the peak flow technique cracked prior to the medical examination because they will take a one-off reading.

@Spidiver puts it far more eloquently than me...and his advice is spot-on: https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/medical-fail-low-peak-flow.128789/#post-1310224

Latest Threads