Medical Assistant

#1
Hi, very quick question,

I've been searching the forums for infomation regarding the role of MA, and have seen a couple of times that it's possible to serve with the RM, is this possible as a female?

Thanks
 
#3
I don't think women can because all Medical Assistants in the RM have to complete the All Arms Commando Course. As far as i'm aware women can't take the course still.
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#4
BBB: RTFQ! :roll:

Celeron asked if MAs can serve with the RMs; they can and they do, as Guns has pointed out via his handy link. Not all MAs who serve with the RM are obliged to complete the AACC, but some do...
 
#5
sgtpepperband said:
BBB: RTFQ! :roll:

Celeron asked if MAs can serve with the RMs; they can and they do, as Guns has pointed out via his handy link. Not all MAs who serve with the RM are obliged to complete the AACC, but some do...
:oops: I didn't read it properley because I was so sure that us girls couldn't serve in RM as medical assistants. Happy to be proven wrong, sorry.
 
#6
Fantastic thanks, and one more question, is volunteering just a matter of putting your name down after training, or do you have to do some sea time first, and get some experience?
 
#7
Celeron said:
Fantastic thanks, and one more question, is volunteering just a matter of putting your name down after training, or do you have to do some sea time first, and get some experience?
Your likely to go straight to afgan, so ive heard. There was a girl on my RNAC and that is what she was told.
 
#9
blondeblackbelt said:
I don't think women can because all Medical Assistants in the RM have to complete the All Arms Commando Course. As far as i'm aware women can't take the course still.
Yes MAs men and women can work along side, and you dont have to do the all arms course as there are a fair few serving along side, also if need be you can get attached to the army if they are short, so be prepared to go to the sandy place.
 
#11
I just thought of one my question, and I promise this will be the last!

Apart from serving on ships, shore establishments and with the RM where else could I get posted as an MA?
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#14
Celeron said:
I just thought of one my question, and I promise this will be the last!

Apart from serving on ships, shore establishments and with the RM where else could I get posted as an MA?
Not sure how up to date my list is, doubtless it will be corrected, but...

There are possibly still a couple of MA billets at the new Princes Royal Medical Centre in Gibraltar, likewise Headley Court, you could serve at Selly Oak hospital in Brum, Queen Alexanders Hospital Portsmouth, Derriford Hospital Plymouth & Guys London. You can also expect to work attached to Army & RAF deployed medical units overseas & in UK.

Other than that I'm afraid as a Naval Medical Assistant it's just plain old Warships travelling around the world, Naval establishmnts around UK or within 3 Commando brigade all over the world, which tends to be a bit more stimulating than it may first appear.
 

Guns

War Hero
Moderator
#15
Of course if you are very unlucky you could end up in one of hte worst places in world. Running sewers, dog poo scattered all over the place, locals who will kill you just for looking at them wrong and frankly the working conditions are worse than that. Old cramped accomadation, falling apart structures, surley people and frankly the smell is .... well what can I say.................















drrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuummmmmmm rooooooooolllllll


POMPY

I thank you, I am here all week, try the veal and tip your waitress

Taxi? For me?
 
#16
Guns said:
Of course if you are very unlucky you could end up in one of hte worst places in world. Running sewers, dog poo scattered all over the place, locals who will kill you just for looking at them wrong and frankly the working conditions are worse than that. Old cramped accomadation, falling apart structures, surley people and frankly the smell is .... well what can I say.................


Birmingham isnt that bad ,or is it ? :D
 
#17
Guns said:
Of course if you are very unlucky you could end up in one of hte worst places in world. Running sewers, dog poo scattered all over the place, locals who will kill you just for looking at them wrong and frankly the working conditions are worse than that. Old cramped accomadation, falling apart structures, surley people and frankly the smell is .... well what can I say.................















drrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuummmmmmm rooooooooolllllll


POMPY

I thank you, I am here all week, try the veal and tip your waitress

Taxi? For me?
strange how Guzz always needs to compare itself to the one true naval base, bless. If you could get your floating barge into Pompey, you'd be more than welcome to sample civilisation......
 
#18
alfred_the_great said:
strange how Guzz always needs to compare itself to the one true naval base, bless. If you could get your floating barge into Pompey, you'd be more than welcome to sample civilisation......
Alfred Guzz doesn't need to compare itself to any naval base. It already boasts the worlds first Dry Dock! In its heyday it was building ships and during Op Corporate ships were coming in on the morning tide and leaving on the evening tide having had a small refit to make them operational. I can see that not one poster on this thread has even mentioned Guzz..references to Pompey and Birmingham yes but no mention of Guzz until your post. Your point was ?
 
#19
StixJimboRM said:
blondeblackbelt said:
All Arms Commando Course. As far as i'm aware women can't take the course still.
Well, I can tell you that you are wrong on that one too I'm afraid.

There is a Surg Lt currently serving, who is a female, who has completed the All Arms Commando Course, and by all accounts she was in the top half of the course. She has proven herself in combat in the sandy place and gained many plaudits for her work.

It is achievable and it is possible, but as has been said no MA's are obliged to complete the AACC in order to serve alongside the Corps.

Hope this helps
I can second that - she's very well respected by the RMs for her attitude as well as her achievements. Did well on tour out in the sticks.
 

Similar threads

Top