Medical Assistant

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by OptiMystic, Feb 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

Writing this on behalf of my girlfriend who is joining the Navy as a Medical Assistant early next year (they pushed her date back due to a change in requirements).

She just wants to know if there are any MA's on the forum at the moment that could tell her anything about the job - what it's like on a day to day basis; what those who do this job generally think of it (personal opinions, that kinda thing) anything that could be helpful as she's had some difficulties finding people who actually do the job to get some insight.

Sort of things she might be looking for:

* Day to day chores (when not in a Medical Emergency)
    * Type of training - how this translates to the real world
    * Personal opinions/job satisfaction etc.

A bit vague I know, but any information would be helpful for her.

2. Hubby is a LMA (SM) - meaning submariner but if she wants to PM my account i'll pass message onto him and he'll help
  3. What was the change in requirements?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There is a reduced requirement to recruit Medical Assistants which has incresed the approximate waiting time from submitting an application to entry out to approximately 24 months.
  5. Yeh, apparently the original intake aim for this year was 60 - this was reduced to 45. Liz was advised that she was number 51 and got moved back to early 2009 - sucks huh?

Anyone have any idea whether this was because of simply realising they didn't need that many, or because of budget?
  6. Just makesure she is aware as an MA she is very likely to work with the marines somewhere sandy.
  7. I can tell you what it is like opti has i spent 18 years being one and still have contacts, just pm me ,as i dont want to be accussed of having had a cushy number. Its a fab branch if you are and action man/woman

8. Not much point in speaking to me as the job has changed beyond belief since my day.Plus i would have a clue about what goes on on one of those grey floaty things.MrsElvis is your best bet.

I heard that the use stuff called Penecillin now?It will never catch on i tell you.
  9. who is Sandy,never came across a sandy in the Medical Branch, pm dodooris he is very up to speed with the Medical Branch,

10. Cheers everyone - have passed this along. I'm sure some of you can expect PMs sometime today. :)
  11. I'm in the same position. I applied Jan 07 and have been told it should be Dec 08 that i get my start date. Very annoying and when i asked as to why this was the case i was told the same thing as youyr missus. Not to worry, just means i have to wait a bit longer to join up.

If she wants a heads up on what life will be like in the RN then get her to join the RNR (the TA of the Navy) I have been in for 3 years now and love it, you get a real insight as to what things like raleigh will be like. Check out for what it involves or just check out the RNR section of this site.
  12. Thanks mate, that's a really good idea that I hadn't considered - will help keep her interested/motivated as well. Will definitely pass that along. How often do you train with the RNR? How does it interfere with work etc?