Medical Assistant vs Nurse

Scabster, if I have got my facts wrong then I would be sorry. However my comments are based on quite a few statements that I have heard from various MA's of almost all rates throughout the fleet for many years. If you are truly happy in your branch then I am glad for you. If you got ODP then good effort man and I wish you well, the DipHE in OPD is a much valued qualification. Just one point however - Radiographer and Lab Tech are two of the branches I looked into as well. According to my last info - Lab tech is now closed to all naval personnel (the army trains them from new entry) and radiographers can be from any branch not just MA's. (This may be wrong but this is what I was told.) This is not to be interperated as a dig at MAs. They do a great job day in and day out and have my total respect.

Jock

aussiepint

War Hero
Ahhhh Scabster so you know Sharon in anyway? She seems to think that all NHS nurses are "nasty" and treat people like crap? And then I "AM SURELY" supposed to see that she didn't mean any harm in offending me-somebody she hasn't met and has been a registered nurse for 14 yrs? Now you Scabster have just insulted some very good paramedics and ex-paramedics on this site? Well I wish the two of you the best of luck in your futures, I really do. You can leave the hard graft to the rest of us who give a shit about our jobs, are the best in what we do and more importantly (just like the forces) AM PROUD!!! Enough said! Sophie original answer to your question is to get yourself some education and experience and then join-NO BRAINER!

nutty_bag

War Hero
aussiepint said:
Ahhhh Scabster so you know Sharon in anyway? She seems to think that all NHS nurses are "nasty" and treat people like crap? And then I "AM SURELY" supposed to see that she didn't mean any harm in offending me-somebody she hasn't met and has been a registered nurse for 14 yrs? Now you Scabster have just insulted some very good paramedics and ex-paramedics on this site? Well I wish the two of you the best of luck in your futures, I really do. You can leave the hard graft to the rest of us who give a shit about our jobs, are the best in what we do and more importantly (just like the forces) AM PROUD!!! Enough said! Sophie original answer to your question is to get yourself some education and experience and then join-NO BRAINER!

I would say that the comment regarding good/bad nurses in NHS hospitals is pretty on the mark. As sharon pointed out quite rightly, there are some that i WOULD NOT allow to touch me or my relatives because to be fair they are incompetent!! However, as an ambulance man i get to see what the majority of non NHS based forces (old sweats commenting) personel dont. Abuse to nurses and ambulance staff, assaults, police sitting in the corridors waiting for it to kick off etc. My point is that to alot of MA's etc who have only worked in military hospitals (not many left now) havent been exposed to this kind of behaviour, therefore may not fully understand the issue of morale particularly in an A&E where this is common place. E.G i am sitting here this morning having done 3 night shifts. I can safely say that during those 3 nights there was only 1 really poorly patient, the rest were drunken obnoxious knobs. Where is there a need for me to use any medical skills in picking up drunks?? except maybe to put in a "full-bore" cannula and an NPA to check whether they are indeed pissed, which generally they are!! The poorly old fellow in question was ?? a victim of a mugging, highly concussed probably by a druggie or a drunk. Sorry if this went off on a tangent but i get a bit miffed with this as there is a very DISTINCT difference between forces patients and the general public who sometimes bring out the worse in human nature.

NB

nutty_bag

War Hero
scabster said:
Hi
Just read Jock of the seas comments and would disagree on a number of points.
Currently serving as an MA do not regret being one for a minute.
Currently have First aid instructors qualification - minimum you get offered!
Too many others to mention.
Training to be Operating Department Practitioner.
This training is only open to MA's in RN because it builds on our MA knowledge and experince.
Diploma In Higher Education when completed with Degree option available later - civvy qualified and registered - just like a nurse.
Oppos of mine (all MA's ) have trained to be Nurses/Radiographers/lab technicians - all picked up from medical branch.
As for being a paramedic when i leave i couldn't think of anything worse.
Ambulance tech for 3 years at £20 grand a year and "maybe" get picked up for paramedics - sod that - i'll be aiming my sights a bit higher than that!

Think maybe you should go outside first and find out how hard it is to find a job doing what you like mate!! Dont think for a minute that having the background that you have will make it any easier for you!!
I know many Technicians and Paramedics who have served in the RN and RAMC and when i'm at a trauma job and they rock up to help i breathe a sigh of relief. I think they, like me would find your passing comment a bit offensive really as we do a valuable job when there is the need!! Also. many trusts like mine actually have a contract whereby a technician has to do his paramedic course within an alloted time. This however depends on the service you join.

Sophie

Midshipman
Thanks to everyone for their advice so far, they are greatly appreciated!

I've read and taken on board everyone's comments, and at the moment am leaning strongly towards M.A over nurse as
1. Im sick to the back teeth of being in education, having done it for the last 15 years, and personally I tend to go much more on view of "it's not what you know but who you know", and
2. The lifestyle and opportunities people have talked about on here regarding the M.A are, on the whole, completely as I expected and am more than happy to live with.
Plus I figure I can always train to be a nurse later on in my RN career....but to be honest, I don't think I actually want to be a nurse.

aussiepint

War Hero
Glad to be called a nasty NHS nurse Sophie for you only for you to tell us all that "I don't think I actually want to be a nurse" ? Ahhh but you got it all sussed mate haven't you? I mean after 15 yrs of education and all?? You wouldn't have posted such an irrevelent post would you without all of that education? But it doesn't matter, you obviously know very important people! Wholeheartedly good luck Sophie!

Sophie

Midshipman
Pleasant aren't you? Excuse me for thinking out loud and having an opinion...just because it doesnt match yours, doesnt mean it isnt valid.
I just wanted some advice from people who are either nurses or m.a's...if you really think it was an irrelevant post you wouldnt have replied in the first place, and it wasnt me that called you a nasty nhs nurse either!

I'll climb off my soapbox if you climb off yours ;-)

aussiepint

War Hero
When I first replied to your post Sophie was wholeheartedly giving you some genuine advice because I thought you where actually thinking about nursing? Use the little mouse thing on your computer and take a look? Little did I know you where wasting my time? Now take said mouse and look up Walter Mitty? No fight here Shakey sorry, enough of my time has been wasted on this thread!

To Aussie pint and Nutty bag.

My comments seem to have been blown well out of proportion!!!!!
My generalization on what i intend to do when i leave the mob was not a dig at what paramedics or techs do, it would take a fool to think that thier jobs were anything less than admirable.
But to assume that most MA's only want to do ambulance/primary health care work when they leave is a bit nieve, don't get me wrong i enjoy it but there is a time to move on.

Scabster

nutty_bag

War Hero
scabster said:
To Aussie pint and Nutty bag.

My comments seem to have been blown well out of proportion!!!!!
My generalization on what i intend to do when i leave the mob was not a dig at what paramedics or techs do, it would take a fool to think that thier jobs were anything less than admirable.
But to assume that most MA's only want to do ambulance/primary health care work when they leave is a bit nieve, don't get me wrong i enjoy it but there is a time to move on.

Scabster

If this is the case mate, you have my full support in what you do. FFS dont mention primary care (or dont care!!) though.lol :grin: