Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical Assistant (Submariner) Quals

crash_evans

War Hero
As much as I understand I was in the wrong giving bogus advice, and was obviously mis/ill-informed, I hardly see how this helps the OP in any way. Why is it the old guard feel the need to belittle people wanting to join up? God forbid if people joining these days actually hang around long enough to offer sound advice when they have put some years in, that is until they’re put off by the old guard.

I guess that would involve actually putting time in? If you can say through your military experience say ‘X’ or ‘Y’. If not, don’t say anything.

I myself am a dabber, thick as a whale omelette. I can talk with authority on my sphere of employment. Other areas, not so much. So, guess what. I don’t say anything.

One thing I have learnt in my career is a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. One may think they know what they are talking about, however, they are coming to conclusions from second hand and imperfect information. Which, actually creates more chaos and confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waspie

War Hero
I think the difference is time!!
When I was a young sprog, I listened to the elders because they were the ones that had done it.
Today with the internet, the youngsters read all the information and disinformation on the net and then think that they know it. Not saying mick1199 is or has but it does come across on here that there are experts who have never experienced any actual service experiences.

mick1199

Badgeman
I guess that would involve actually putting time in? If you can say through your military experience say ‘X’ or ‘Y’. If not, don’t say anything.

I myself am a dabber, thick as a whale omelette. I can talk with authority on my sphere of employment. Other areas, not so much. So, guess what. I don’t say anything.

One thing I have learnt in my career is a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. One may think they know what they are talking about, however, they are coming to conclusions from second hand and imperfect information. Which, actually creates more chaos and confusion.

Now this is genuinely constructive. Understood. I’ll stick to what I know, which is evidently very little!

mick1199

Badgeman
I think the difference is time!!
When I was a young sprog, I listened to the elders because they were the ones that had done it.
Today with the internet, the youngsters read all the information and disinformation on the net and then think that they know it. Not saying mick1199 is or has but it does come across on here that there are experts who have never experienced any actual service experiences.
Is that because there wasn’t an internet back then? *Genuinely meant in good humour*

Alfacharlie

War Hero

******* hell Crash! That’s just the most beautiful post I’ve read from you!!
Still, I prefer it when we’re taking this piss.

crash_evans

War Hero
Now this is genuinely constructive. Understood. I’ll stick to what I know, which is evidently very little!

Oppo,
I’m just a sonar operator and I just work here. No one is knocking your zeal for imparting your answers or thought process on other posters. I’m just saying ease to 5 on giving advice that could be construed as fact.

I’ll give you an example. Back in the day (20’ish years ago). Someone told me that you could use a AFFF extinguisher on a electrical fire. Hmm, wet stuff on a electrical fire that hasn’t been isolated? Seems a bit ‘fruity’ to me. It’s ok, this guy - let’s call him ‘Nobby’ says. You bounce it off a bulkhead (wall in Navy parlance). Perfect I thought, there’s loads of them onboard. I’ll use my ‘experience’ (I was 2 years in) to dazzle everyone with my firefighting.

Only problem is, he’s full of shit. Metal conducts electricity no matter what you bounce it off. So, I’d die. I’m not a fan of dying, So, when I went on the advanced firefighting course I discourage this stupid practice. It’s still floating about, even now.

My takeaway, unless you know or have experienced a subject matter. Avoid giving sage/second hand advice.

crash_evans

War Hero
******* hell Crash! That’s just the most beautiful post I’ve read from you!!
Still, I prefer it when we’re taking this piss.

I managed to get married before lockdown Mk 2 (proper marriage this time, not the practice first one). Maybe I’m getting soft in my 40’s?

redmonkey

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Oppo,
I’m just a sonar operator and I just work here. No one is knocking your zeal for imparting your answers or thought process on other posters. I’m just saying ease to 5 on giving advice that could be construed as fact.

I’ll give you an example. Back in the day (20’ish years ago). Someone told me that you could use a AFFF extinguisher on a electrical fire. Hmm, wet stuff on a electrical fire that hasn’t been isolated? Seems a bit ‘fruity’ to me. It’s ok, this guy - let’s call him ‘Nobby’ says. You bounce it off a bulkhead (wall in Navy parlance). Perfect I thought, there’s loads of them onboard. I’ll use my ‘experience’ (I was 2 years in) to dazzle everyone with my firefighting.

Only problem is, he’s full of shit. Metal conducts electricity no matter what you bounce it off. So, I’d die. I’m not a fan of dying, So, when I went on the advanced firefighting course I discourage this stupid practice. It’s still floating about, even now.

My takeaway, unless you know or have experienced a subject matter. Avoid giving sage/second hand advice.

I heard that many years ago as well. However they did say you had to be 6ft away from the fire to be safe.
Haven't heard it recently thankfully. And it was certainly not taught a Q course long ago.

What with more and more ships going HV (high voltage) you certainly wouldn't want someone doing that in certain spaces because he had heard it was ok.

Waspie

War Hero
I still use dividers on TAS charts. The kids look at me like I’m on crack.

I'm not alone then. Only in my case dividers on 'maps'. It's all on line I'm told. It's in front of me!!!

Another we tale. RAF Fairford. (US air base in the UK.) All flights had to be flight planned. A document for recording flights in controlled airspace. (@Alfacharlie - he'll understand). When asked what navigation aids my helicopter had, TACAN, VOR, DME, DECCCA blah blah blah. I replied nil, map and compass!!! The yank air trafficker looked at me like I was crackers. So I simply asked what would happen to all this high tech stuff in the event of an EMP? So a VMC flight to Portland then he said. Thumbs up from me!!!
(VMC - Visual Meteorological Conditions - ie, you can see the ground). Can't beat old school in some things. Don't get me wrong, I love my tech but sometimes it pays to know another way!!!!!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I do wonder what kinds of catastrophe we'll encounter if/when there is an EMP or somebody takes out a satellite/major infrastructure computer attack.
Power stations - no leccy.
Almost all comms.
Map reading skills? More or less lost to GPS.
Electronic charts on most vessels.
FFS even fridges and cookers are linked up to WiFi now!
Etcetera (no - not him!)

Lucky I was in the Scouts and can make a fire, read a map - not that it will be needed, as we'll not be able to go anywhere unless we walk.

crash_evans

War Hero
I do wonder what kinds of catastrophe we'll encounter if/when there is an EMP or somebody takes out a satellite/major infrastructure computer attack.
Power stations - no leccy.
Almost all comms.
Map reading skills? More or less lost to GPS.
Electronic charts on most vessels.
FFS even fridges and cookers are linked up to WiFi now!
Etcetera (no - not him!)

Lucky I was in the Scouts and can make a fire, read a map - not that it will be needed, as we'll not be able to go anywhere unless we walk.

In the event of the end of the world. I will be using these as lethal weapons to stab. From experience they bloody hurt.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
R Submariner medical assistant training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S Waiting time for Medical Assistant (Submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
E Medical Assistant GS vs Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Medical Assistant : Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C medical assistant (submariner) waiting list and other problems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
O Questions - Medical Assistant Submariner Submariners 23
C Medical Assistant Role Joining the Royal Navy 5
A How long are medical assistant deployments for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 3
SafferBlondie Naval Aircraft Handler vs. Marine Engineer vs. Medical Assistant in the RN Joining the Royal Navy 43
O Medical Assistant role info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Medical assistant deployment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
H Medical assistant waiting Times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T5igger Start date - Medical assistant waiting times? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
I Medical Assistant and Mental health student nurse career timeline/progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Medical Assistant Diamond Lil's 5
C Career Advice- RN medical assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M What being is a Medical assistant general service really like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
W Raleigh Date Medical Assistant GS Waiting Times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
andym Medical Assistant T shirts The Quarterdeck 1
S Joining as a Medical Assistant (SM) Submariners 7
L Medical assistant - Waiting times and information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Info about medical assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
G Hoping to apply as a medical Assistant. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
AndyStano Hoping to join as a medical assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
deano232 Newbie - Applying for Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J RNR- Medical Assistant/Operating Department Practitioner Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
C Medical assistant (SM) Interview in a few weeks, help needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M healthcare assistant, joining as a medical orderly Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
D Info On Sub Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Medical Assistant - All arms commando course - Help? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
H Medical Assistant RT EXAM! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D General Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
L medical assistant prospects Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
O Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
B Naval nurse or medical assistant? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
W Medical Assistant - Subs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Sophie Medical Assistant vs Nurse Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
R Medical Assistant - possible career The Fleet 15
M About Passed Medical Questionnaire Joining the Royal Navy 0
R Medical RMR 2
M Can't find medical questionnaire and im debating my role Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Update on the government’s response to the Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review MoD News 0
D Medical cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty on national alert levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Adviser for NHS Test and Trace, Susan Hopkins on community testing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 alert level: update from the UK Chief Medical Officers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to the profession from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the UK COVID-19 vaccination programmes MoD News 0
URNU/MNsnotty Sub Medical Req Joining the Royal Navy 21