Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical Assistant (Submariner) Quals

Hi all, sorry if this isn't the right area to post. Going to Raleigh next month to start my training for Medical Assistant (Submariner), and I am very much looking forward to learning again. Just wondering what kind of qualifications you can pick up with this role, and how well the role translates into the civilian world, I'm under the impression from this site that it can lead quite nicely into the nuclear sector? Any knowledge and advice would be great. Thank you for your time.

mick1199

Badgeman
Hi all, sorry if this isn't the right area to post. Going to Raleigh next month to start my training for Medical Assistant (Submariner), and I am very much looking forward to learning again. Just wondering what kind of qualifications you can pick up with this role, and how well the role translates into the civilian world, I'm under the impression from this site that it can lead quite nicely into the nuclear sector? Any knowledge and advice would be great. Thank you for your time.
I’d imagine engineering branch is more likely to fit into the nuclear sector. I can’t imagine that medical assistants have much to do with the management or maintenance of anything nuclear, perhaps MEs and WEs though I’m told you usually don’t delve into those subjects until you begin to climb the ladder and earn more responsibility.

When do you start training? And is it Raleigh specifically or are you being sent to Collingwood or Dartmouth instead? Just curious as I’m still waiting on my own start date.

This isn’t really relevant to this site but if you use Reddit there’s a bloke in the Royal Navy community there who I believe is an MA(SM), might be worth asking there.

I’d imagine engineering branch is more likely to fit into the nuclear sector. I can’t imagine that medical assistants have much to do with the management or maintenance of anything nuclear, perhaps MEs and WEs though I’m told you usually don’t delve into those subjects until you begin to climb the ladder and earn more responsibility.

When do you start training? And is it Raleigh specifically or are you being sent to Collingwood or Dartmouth instead? Just curious as I’m still waiting on my own start date.

This isn’t really relevant to this site but if you use Reddit there’s a bloke in the Royal Navy community there who I believe is an MA(SM), might be worth asking there.
Medical Assistants on Submarines monitor radiation levels and also learn nuclear health physics during their submarine training, which made me think that it could be a fit for the nuclear industry in some respects.

I go to Raleigh at the start of January. Have been in the process of going for a little over a year now. Cheers for the Reddit advice, will have a look on there.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

Don't offer advice, no matter how well meaning, on subjects you have no knowledge or experience of.

MA(SM)'s get thoroughly trained in Health Physics, not just in monitoring, but in sampling the primary coolant. This costs a fortune in civvy street to train someone up to do it, that's why the nuclear industry appreciate the MA(SM)s training when they leave the mob.

The nuclear world isn't all about nuts and bolts.

mick1199

Badgeman
Interesting, suppose it stands to reason MAs on submarines should have some knowledge on nuclear radiation and the likes.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Don't offer advice, no matter how well meaning, on subjects you have no knowledge or experience of.

MA(SM)'s get thoroughly trained in Health Physics, not just in monitoring, but in sampling the primary coolant. This costs a fortune in civvy street to train someone up to do it, that's why the nuclear industry appreciate the MA(SM)s training when they leave the mob.

The nuclear world isn't all about nuts and bolts.
I think, in other words, wind it.

mick1199

Badgeman
As much as I understand I was in the wrong giving bogus advice, and was obviously mis/ill-informed, I hardly see how this helps the OP in any way. Why is it the old guard feel the need to belittle people wanting to join up? God forbid if people joining these days actually hang around long enough to offer sound advice when they have put some years in, that is until they’re put off by the old guard.

Chris P

War Hero
As much as I understand I was in the wrong giving bogus advice, and was obviously mis/ill-informed, I hardly see how this helps the OP in any way. Why is it the old guard feel the need to belittle people wanting to join up? God forbid if people joining these days actually hang around long enough to offer sound advice when they have put some years in, that is until they’re put off by the old guard.
Think what you just said and then pull your head..

Alfacharlie

War Hero
This ‘old guard’, as you put it, some are still serving.

Waspie

War Hero
This wasn't/isn't a forum just for newbies. It's a forum for all. If you want to offer advice and get corrected because of no experience or worse - bad advice - suck it up. You'll get more of the same when you do get in.
Why is it, when noobs are corrected it's 'old guard' are picking on me sir!!! We can and we do because we have!!!

mick1199

Badgeman
There’s a difference between correcting someone and just plain being an arse. As for picking on people just because you can and have, that isn’t an excuse.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
R Submariner medical assistant training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S Waiting time for Medical Assistant (Submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
E Medical Assistant GS vs Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Medical Assistant : Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C medical assistant (submariner) waiting list and other problems Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
O Questions - Medical Assistant Submariner Submariners 23
C Medical Assistant Role Joining the Royal Navy 5
A How long are medical assistant deployments for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 3
SafferBlondie Naval Aircraft Handler vs. Marine Engineer vs. Medical Assistant in the RN Joining the Royal Navy 43
O Medical Assistant role info Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Medical assistant deployment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
H Medical assistant waiting Times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T5igger Start date - Medical assistant waiting times? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
I Medical Assistant and Mental health student nurse career timeline/progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Medical Assistant Diamond Lil's 5
C Career Advice- RN medical assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M What being is a Medical assistant general service really like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
W Raleigh Date Medical Assistant GS Waiting Times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
andym Medical Assistant T shirts The Quarterdeck 1
S Joining as a Medical Assistant (SM) Submariners 7
L Medical assistant - Waiting times and information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Info about medical assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
G Hoping to apply as a medical Assistant. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
AndyStano Hoping to join as a medical assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
deano232 Newbie - Applying for Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J RNR- Medical Assistant/Operating Department Practitioner Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
C Medical assistant (SM) Interview in a few weeks, help needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M healthcare assistant, joining as a medical orderly Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
D Info On Sub Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Medical Assistant - All arms commando course - Help? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
H Medical Assistant RT EXAM! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D General Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
L medical assistant prospects Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
O Medical Assistant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
B Naval nurse or medical assistant? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
W Medical Assistant - Subs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Sophie Medical Assistant vs Nurse Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
R Medical Assistant - possible career The Fleet 15
M About Passed Medical Questionnaire Joining the Royal Navy 0
R Medical RMR 2
M Can't find medical questionnaire and im debating my role Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Update on the government’s response to the Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review MoD News 0
D Medical cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty on national alert levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Adviser for NHS Test and Trace, Susan Hopkins on community testing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 alert level: update from the UK Chief Medical Officers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to the profession from the UK Chief Medical Officers on the UK COVID-19 vaccination programmes MoD News 0
URNU/MNsnotty Sub Medical Req Joining the Royal Navy 21