Medical assistance and check ups

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by itsamuppet, Oct 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been told by a PTI that i need insoles when running to level out my feet and stop my calf muscles from splitting. Apparently its quite common and normally if i was in the RN they would be provided for me.

Is it unreasonable that as I only run to stay fit for the RNFT that the RN provides this service to me.

Has anyone else been able to get the RN to provide anything like this.

Seems like the RN wants us to be fit but without giving the support to help us maintain it. (Another when I joined) we had regular dental checks and it was easy to get a medical, jabs etc. Now you can't get a dental check till your deployed (by then its too late) and I've been waiting for a medical for 6 months now (i know there has been a shake up) and I'm in Pompey. If its this difficult for me with all the services available at Nelson, what is it like in other more remote units?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah, but how do we know whether you used to keep fit anyway & only joined the RNR to get free insoles?

Seriously though, you can claim it back if you do a full Tax Return via HMRC.

(Interestingly RM Commandos generally buy their own)

3. Joined the TA to get fit, but got kicked out for being unfit for active service (too heavy) Funny enough the Navy didn't mind.

Will try and claim it back, though as it took me 2 years to sort the cock up made by HMRC when i got called up, I won't hold my breath.