Medical Appeal

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by bellis95, Feb 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I could turned down as the Naval Doctor said that he thought I had asthma as my peak flow was not very good, but after going to my GP he told me I do not asthma or any type of lung disease and that I never have at a young age. I can also get about 500 on the peak flow which he said is fine. Is it worth appealing the turn down or would it get me nowhere?
  2. Sorry got* not could

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a matter of interest was it a "one off" peak flow test at the medical examination or was it as a result of a four week peak flow diary?
  4. Seems at bit harsh to reject you at the first point without checking your records from your GP or to get you to complete a 28 day diary, then reassess you. I have to ask - was it a single test, or did you give the Doc some info during the medical?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  5. I done a 28 day peak flow record and he said as i was on about 500 throughout the 28 days he thought i might have asthma. I went to my GP and he tested me and said i don't and that i should appeal but i was just wondering if it's worth it or it will just get declined?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Just to emphasise, I'm not qualified to offer medical advice but angrydoc & nemesis1066 are.

From a layman's unqualified perspective, there's a rather obvious flaw in the claim:

If you undertook a 28 day peak flow diary, that is either because you have a previous history of asthma or because you had a low peak flow reading at the medical and/or asthma-like symptoms were present. In other words the grounds for appeal centre around your claim that you admit you had asthma, but claim you don't anymore, despite evidence to the contrary.

I'm sure the subject matter experts will give you a more qualified response, but it's surely difficult to appeal against evidence initially provided by yourself.
  7. I haven't ever had asthma my GP told me, the GP who I saw is an ex naval doctor and said that i should appeal because i don't have asthma or any other type of lung problem but I think that the appeal will be turned down.

8. Why did they ask you to do the 28 day peak flow diary?
  9. I had to complete a 28 day peak flow diary because when I done my peak flow reading in the medical I could only reach 500.

10. Ninja_Stoker

If you have provided 28 days worth of evidence to justify the medical decision, then it is going to be very difficult to produce credible evidence to claim the original data was duff.

You obviously cannot just repeat the same test as it would be easy to tamper with the results and the only credible evidence must, I would have thought, include measurable data from a verifiable and medically accredited source.

See what the qualified people advise.
  11. Okay thanks for the help mate.

12. Morning. I agree with NS as it would appear that you have completed the required testing undertaken by the AFCO Doc to establish your consistent Peak Flow. If your readings are around the 500 mark, then that is low and indicates that although you have no recorded history of Asthma or related illness, you have a lower than normal function, hence the rejection.
    There is no right of appeal, but there is nothing to prevent you from doing so, however, you will need to provide medical evidence that counters the AFCO Doc's findings and decision. In your case that would be Lung Function Testing which would have to be obtained via your GP and is usually completed at a local hospital. The RN will not pay for thistesting as the burden of proof sits with you. Your problem is that because you have no recorded illness and that this is for occupational reason - joining the RN, your GP may not refer you as it comes from his/her budget.
    If you do go ahead with an appeal there are no guarantees that you will succeed, in my experience less than 1 in 10 were passed fit at appeal because of the risk of an individual developing a respiratory illness such as Asthma in their 20s/30s.
    Sorry to be blunt, and not very encouraging, but in reality the RN is the least strict of the 3 Services in respect to Respiratory Disease.

13. Hello Nemesis, I have completed a long function test already which they said looked fine. I can post up the results or a picture of the test to see if you think it is worth an appeal?

14. Sorry lung*

15. All depends if you had a spirometer test or an hospital lung function test, which is a series of tests, which may include exercise. The only other reason I have heard for low function flow rate is being very fit, some of the specials doing the tank medical were sent on a run up the tower first so they could pass the spirometer test but these were very fit people.

I failed tank test and went to INM every month for a year for full lung function tests, before being passed fit for tank but I was already serving? my issue was put down to chest shape the doc called me barrel chested, I was into Rugby, CCTs and Brickwards field gun at that time so fairly fit
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  16. Sorry mate you've lost me so your saying i could have a low function rate for being fit?

17. Morning Sumo, I failed my first Lung Testing for boats- bad technique (closed epiglottis) and didn't have to run all the way up the Tank, only to the 9m chamber. I passed the rescrub and INM tests without problem.

Bellis - I wouldn't post medical graphs etc on here, but I suspect the AFCO Doc has seen it (yeh or neh?). If that is the case, then I doubt your success at appeal, but that isn't my choice to make.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best.

18. Only if you were at professional athlete standard, then you would have to prove that?
    Did you have spirometer test of full lung function?
  19. No I haven't show it too my AFCO, as I didn't have the test done until after i was declined i have the results at home.

20. I have only had the spirometer test I've just seen.