Medical appeal reactive airways disease

Jools37

My son was given a start date for naval training following a 2 and a half year application process and several medicals only to be told on arrival at hms Raleigh for basic training that he was unfit for service. He was sent home the next day obviously devastated and now without a job. He had passed one capita and an raf medical but after the 2nd capita one, because the first had timed out, was sent for a lung function test based on having an inhaler prescribed when he had a chest infection 6 years beforehand. He has never been diagnosed with asthma nor did he have need to use this. He has not displayed symptoms of any respiratory problems since being a very young child, despite taking part in a number of endurance sports on a regular basis. At this consultancy, he was diagnosed as having 'reactive airways disease' , which I have never heard of, however the consultant said he was at 'extremely low risk' of any problems and in his letter (which I requested) recommended that my son continue to recruitment.
Obviously there have been errors in terms of communication and admin here for my son to get to Raleigh before hearing of this decision and this is a different matter for us to deal with. Should we appeal?Is it worth getting another opinion, in the hope that this is a misdiagnoses, about whether he really has a problem. He plays rugby, does endurance mountain biking at a competitive level and runs regularly all without problems. It appears that 'RAD' is a bar to entry. We are devastated and not sure what to do.

huwshpis

War Hero
I'm afraid there is no-one on this forum qualified to give you advice. At a minimum, you should get a second opinion. I can't say whether you need to lodge an appeal while you're doing this. One of our members,@Ninja_Stoker, used to be a recruiter and may be able to shed more light, but the other members here, including myself, know little about the workings of the medical side of things and what we do know is only in the most general of terms.

fishhead

War Hero
@Jools37 I agree with everything [email protected] has said but would like to add that it could be worth appealing the diagnosis as you have nothing to lose. Your son's AFCO will be able to tell you how to go about the appeal.