Medical Appeal - Knee Crepitus and Acne Treatment

JRA

Midshipman
Hello all,

Applicant for Warfare Officer here. I had my triage phone call with a nurse from CAPITA this morning, and was informed that I've been deemed medically unfit for two reasons:

- Mild knee pain (which only occurred once after a long run in September)

- Currently undergoing treatment for mild acne, which will finish in a month

After a call with my local AFCO, I was told that the CAPITA nurses have a set of yes/no criteria, and that any ‘yes’ will automatically result in a failure. However, given the nature of my problems, I was told it might be worth appealing the decision with the SEMC.

I’ve already read the thread detailing the appeal process, so I have no questions about the process itself. Rather, I’m seeking advice about whether it would be worth making the appeal at all, and have two main questions:

Knee pain

In September 2017, I had some very mild pain in my left leg near the knee (not in the joint) which manifested a few hours after a long run and then resolved itself a day or so later. I found that warming up and stretching before and after running negated the issue entirely.

I thought it best to include it in the medical questionnaire and mention it during the triage as it is a recent issue – however I feel very little pain now. I now regularly run and lift heavy weights with no issue, and also hiked 100km in Iceland in June 2017 with no complaints from my knee whatsoever.

The only ‘issue’ that remains is mild crepitus – a slight grinding sensation when I move the knee (with no pain). I’m going to see a physiotherapist about this to get a professional opinion to include in my appeal. Would this crepitus be a bar to entry?

Acne issue

I have had mild acne (no scarring) since the age of 15, and recently it has begun to disappear. I am still taking a final course of medication to resolve it, which I believe contributed to the decision to deem me medically unfit. Is the mild acne itself the issue, or is it the fact that I’m on a course of medication?

As I’m sure you can imagine this whole experience has come as a bit of a shock, as I’d considered myself completely fit and healthy. Any answers to my questions would be much appreciated.

- JRA

Last edited:

photface

Lantern Swinger
Hello all,

Applicant for Warfare Officer here. I had my triage phone call with a nurse from CAPITA this morning, and was informed that I've been deemed medically unfit for two reasons:

- Mild knee pain (which only manifests after running if I don’t warm up/stretch beforehand, and disappears after a few hours)

- Currently undergoing treatment for mild acne, which will finish in a month

After a call with my local AFCO, I was told that the CAPITA nurses have a set of yes/no criteria, and that any ‘yes’ will automatically result in a failure. However, given the nature of my problems, I was told it might be worth appealing the decision with the SEMC.

I’ve already read @photface ‘s excellent thread detailing the appeal process, so I have no questions about the process itself. Rather, I’m seeking advice about whether it would be worth making the appeal at all, and have two main questions:

Knee issue

From around September 2016 until September 2017, I had some very mild pain in my left leg near the knee (not in the joint) which would manifest a few hours after running and then resolve itself a day or so later. In the summer of 2017 I found that warming up and stretching before and after running negated the issue entirely.

I thought it best to include it in the medical questionnaire and mention it during the triage as it is a recent issue – however I feel very little pain now. I now regularly run and lift heavy weights with no issue, and also hiked 100km in Iceland in June 2017 with no complaints from my knee whatsoever.

The only ‘issue’ that remains is mild crepitus – a slight grinding sensation when I move the knee (with no pain). I’m going to see a physiotherapist about this to get a professional opinion to include in my appeal. Would this crepitus be a bar to entry?

Acne issue

I have had mild acne (no scarring) since the age of 15, and recently it has begun to disappear. I am still taking a final course of medication to resolve it, which I believe contributed to the decision to deem me medically unfit. Is the mild acne itself the issue, or is it the fact that I’m on a course of medication?

As I’m sure you can imagine this whole experience has come as a bit of a shock, as I’d considered myself completely fit and healthy. Any answers to my questions would be much appreciated.

- JRA
Hi,

I can't comment on the knee issue but I believe in JSP950 it states that the acne medication would be the issue.

Good luck!

-R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRA

Midshipman
Hi,

I can't comment on the knee issue but I believe in JSP950 it states that the acne medication would be the issue.

Good luck!

-R
Thanks for the quick response! So once the medication course is finished (in a month's time) I'd be safe to make the appeal (on that front)?

photface

Lantern Swinger
I can only go on what it says in black and white in JSP950. I have PMed you the section on Acne and treatment for pre service. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRA

Midshipman
Thank you!

On the knee issue - I have found this in JSP 950, Part 1, Section 3, Annex B (GUIDELINES FOR THE CONDUCT OF PRE-SERVICE MEDICAL ASSESSMENT), 17, c), (3):

"Movement. Confirm normal power, symmetrical and normal flexion and extension and absence of crepitus."

This would seem to indicate that the presence of crepitus is a problem, however it also states that "Medical Officers should use their clinical judgement in interpreting these guidelines to determine the depth and detail of examination required in each case", and I cannot believe that a mild grinding sensation in the knee would bar entry. Any ideas on this?