Medical appeal for Hyperlipdemia

user1

I failed my medical because I have hereditary Hyperlipdemia. I take daily prescribed medication to control the condition.

Is it advisable that I appeal this decision? Or does the fact I have been diagnosed override the appeal? (regardless of: severity of condition, that it is under control etc.)

Many thanks,

user1

Where does your medication come from on a six month deployment afloat?
I think the medication is only prescribed as a precaution (Doctor is confirming tomorrow). If I am able to come off of the medication and prove that my cholesterol is under control, do you think I have a chance with appealing the decision?

Really appreciate your advice.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
There is no one on the site that is qualified to answer your question , you need to put it through the AFCO people. Good luck

Sumo

War Hero
There is also a waiting time since last medication taken, 3 - 4 years, again AFCO will confirm this, if you do not ask and try you will never know, good luck.

user1

Thank you both for your help.

The medical letter says:
Candidates with a diagnosis of familial hyperlipidaemia are graded medically unfit. Candidates with a treated total cholesterol level of 8.0 mmol/l or more are graded medically unfit due to the increased morbidity associated with hypercholesterolaemia.

Does this mean that this condition (hyperlipidaemia) is a permanent bar to entry? (Despite what my cholesterol levels are)

Sumo

War Hero

The medical letter says:
Candidates with a diagnosis of familial hyperlipidaemia are graded medically unfit. Candidates with a treated total cholesterol level of 8.0 mmol/l or more are graded medically unfit due to the increased morbidity associated with hypercholesterolaemia.

Does this mean that this condition (hyperlipidaemia) is a permanent bar to entry? (Despite what my cholesterol levels are)
As said above, no one on this site medically qualified to answer.

Stirlin

War Hero

The medical letter says:

# 4

enquiringmind

Midshipman
User 1, will you please post how you get on? My son is in a similar position (although isn't on prescribed meds) and his consultant said he would write an appeal letter when he's old enough to apply. According to the expert, hyperlipidemia isn't a " life shortening" condition so shouldn't still be classed as a barring condition. Good luck.