Medical Apeal,Temporary Unfit

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Evening, I had my phone call with capita with the assumption I would be failed , I had a single level Discectomy in april 2016 .Acording to medical standards you should be two years clear , that will be april 2018, so not the end of world. My reason for apealing would be to complete further stages of my application , im not asking to be passed fit immediately as it where . I just got the letter from capita , and I was told I will receive one from my AFCO shortly. Would this be a pointless apeal or would medical staff take into account that by the time I have completed all the stages of recruitment it could be passed april anyway.
Thanks

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
I see, I thought that would be the case . Not the end of the world, I count my self lucky that I am only temporay unfit . It only crossed my mind as I see intakes are now into next year , if I had atleast completed everything ready for april as oppose to then being able to carry on,taking more time.
Many thanks

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
You cannot appeal the mandated post operative period unfortunately, only the diagnosis of the condition.
Have you had candidates in the past having had the same op, having issue’s at the medical stage ? From what it describes I dont see why I will have problems I have lost no movement or strength in it and I have had no pain since. I do phsyical work and excersise out side of work aswell .

Your asking questions I believe no-one is qualified to reply to. (Or at least give the reply you want.) I understand your 'needing' answers to your questions but I think you will simply have to wait until the medical and await the decision. Then, you will in a position, knowing the facts how to proceed.
If the Navy as a career means that much then use the time from now to the various stages of recruitment wisely. AET is a good career, be patient. Good things happen in the end.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Your asking questions I believe no-one is qualified to reply to. (Or at least give the reply you want.) I understand your 'needing' answers to your questions but I think you will simply have to wait until the medical and await the decision. Then, you will in a position, knowing the facts how to proceed.
If the Navy as a career means that much then use the time from now to the various stages of recruitment wisely. AET is a good career, be patient. Good things happen in the end.
Thanks for the advice, I will prepare my self as much as I can for it.I do hope to start a career from this . Military Aviation runs in the family and I hope to get out of it what family members have done in the past
Cheers

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
I had the same op as you. Unfortunately as was informed I was PMU. Don't get your hopes up, sorry.
Dont see why it will be a problem , im 20 working outside doing hard work , I run I workout I am as fit as I have ever been , Im fairly certain I could prove my case . Why would the medical standards outline that op as the only back op you can join having had done if In truth they never passed anyone fit !?Im not making assumptions but according to your profile your 47? Could that have been a factor for yourself?

Last edited:
Possibly, this was some time ago but I wouldn't get your hopes up, anything to do with spinal conditions, they are risk adverse. I hope it works out for you though.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Possibly, this was some time ago but I wouldn't get your hopes up, anything to do with spinal conditions, they are risk adverse. I hope it works out for you though.
Cheers, but I dont need to hope its cleary set out in medical standards what can be passed as medically fit ill jump the hoops needed to prove full recovery with no chance of reoccurance.
Cheers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
C Joining the Royal Navy 1
Maxpowers Joining the Royal Navy 6