Medical and Pre Joining fitness

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Reecekayleigh14, Jul 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, sorry I know this has been asked before..
    I'm 16 ( Passed RT, Interview and eyetest) I thought I'd apply now because there could be a long wait! But I have my Medical coming up at the end of the month, I have nothing wrong and I'm completely healthy but I'm just worried about the process, what will I have to do etc.? & what's the expected bmi for a 16 year old female? I'm quite muscular because of the sports I do and I'm worried this might effect my bmi as it doesn't count muscle mass.
    Also even though I haven't had my Medical yet I was still wondering..I've been training and I can run the 2.4km in well under the time but that's also with me speed walking part of it, in the fitness test can you stop/speed walk? Because for females I think its 14mins15secs but I can do it in the 11/12s as long as I speed walk a little.
    I'm sorry for the essay I'm just getting a little nervous, but thanks to anyone who can help!!
  2. If you are doing the run in 11/12 minutes and speed walking, you are doing it wrong. You need to pace yourself.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your BMI needs to be within the healthy zone, ie; less than 26.
  4. Erm your hands are not allowed to touch the treadmill so doing it on your hands would be unacceptable!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome RK14

The PJFT time for a 16 year old female candidate is 13 min 15 secs.

Re the Medical, see Ninja_Stoker's post on this page:

Re your BMI:

BMI healthy weight calculator - Health tools - NHS Choices
  6. My bmi was 26.5 when I passed.
    The doc said I needed my waist to be under 94cm

I'm a boy & 5"8 though so don't use that waist measurement as a guide.

If you fail the medical for being overweight it'll only be temporary and the doc will tell you where you need to be. I doubt you'll have an issue.
  7. Thanks for the links!
  8. And also for all the information, its really helping!
  9. Ant

Ant Midshipman

when i had my medical, my BMI was high, however, as i have a large chest, it meant it was ok. (Dont ask me how)
    The medical is a walk in the park. They go through your medical history and they have a little talk. then they get you to walk on the heels of your feet and so on.
    For me, the worst thing was the hearing test. Its just a set of headphones and a few beeps. Doesn't sound hard, but i had to try and control my breathing so i could hear all the beeps lol.
    Anyway, all the best and good luck!

10. Ok thanks a lot that's settled my mind lol!
  11. Hi,

BMI for females under 18 is:

Lower - 17
    Upper - 28

Over 28 and there is additional assessment - waist circumference, which for females is less than 80 cm.

Hope this helps.

12. Thanks that helps a lot, pretty sure I have nothing to worry about now.
  13. I've just measured myself and I'm 164/5cm. For the job I'm going in as I have to be at least I'm 16 and still growing will the doctor in the medical take this into consideration or not? Thanks.
  14. One of the recruiters or the doc might be along to say for more or less definite, but probably best asking your afco? Not sure but pretty sure height requirements are usually cause of the safety equipment/vehicles etc rather than being sizeist for the sake of it- might have to perhaps wait it out til you grow a few more inches? Eat all yer spinach and won't be long :D but yeah worth asking them but not sure if they make any exceptions for anything
  15. Thanks for answering! Ok I guess so but I only need to grow about a cm! Its just really annoying because it will be about a year to a year and a half until basic, and because I'm still growing I hope I would have grown it by then. If not I'll have to re-apply for something else :(
  16. What trade have you applied for? :) yeah you might still grow as it's only a cm or so, although i stopped growing when i was 11 (and i am 5'11) lol
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  17. I, like Rachelthree, am wondering what branch you want to be in. The height limit for entry is 151.5cm.
  18. I'm hoping to be an aircraft handler and the minimum height is 166cm for this job. Rachelthree, I'll happily be 5'11 at this moment!
  19. I've been told by a women on the Royal Navy's Recruitment page on Facebook that the 166cm had been amended and that its now 151.5cm and has been for a few years, but I'm not sure how true this is. I'll just call my AFCO on monday after my medical.