Medical and injuries

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by beneaththewaves, Apr 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I decided to start playing rugby again as a way of getting fit. Yesterday, I managed to break my 3rd metatarsal in my right hand, only a small break though. As a result I am now in a sling and have an appointment to see the fracture clinic on Wednesday.

How will the injury affect my medical? I am still waiting for my sift interview date, in which I might have to explain why I am in a plaster :) I can still run, I carried on playing for the remaining 20 minutes, but was wondering if I will have to wait until the injury heals to do the pjft?

2. Bad luck.

You'll be deferred until it heals: press-ups are tricky with a hand in plaster. It's one of those things, and it happens loads. As long as it heals ok (slightly unusual fracture, and it's a metacarpal by the way) there'll be no long term impact on your Naval plans but at present you won't be able to do basic training. It'll take 6-8 weeks to heal, assuming it's a simple fracture that doesn't need an op.

Love the sling!

3. Thanks for the reply angrydoc. I'm hoping that the fracture will be ok in a few weeks. It's only a small one. The pain that I am experiencing is due to the little bit of bone sticking out and rubbing against muscles, tendons etc in my hand when I move it.

The nurse said it was an unusual place to get a fracture! I'm putting it down to playing full back for the 5ths against a 1st team! I had plenty of tackling practice and assume that it was probably a bit too much for me in the end.

I haven't had a date for my interview yet, but am hoping by the time I have had it and then when my medical and pjft are organised it will have cleared up without any extra delay.