Medical and Fitness

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Chick, Jan 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm about to do my medical next week, and having just jumped on the scales for the first time in about a year I've just worked my BMI to be 17.9, putting me underweight, is that going to be problematic?

Second, I have been having another look at the pre-joining fitness plan on the navy websight, and I have just noticed that it says women are supposed to be doing box press ups, does that mean that during the press up tests at Raleigh and so forth are all box press ups?! Because I have no problem with those, it's just full press ups I have problems with

Hope you can help!
  2. During phys at Raleigh the women do the exact same press-ups at the men.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. So my pre-joining fitness guide is talking rubbish?
  4. OMM

OMM War Hero

This is no press ups tests at Raleigh. You're just expected to do them in the IMF circuit. They build you up so get yourself to a comfortable point and you'll be fine.

With your BMI being low they may deem you TMU until you gain weight but I am in no way qualified to certify anything in regards to your medical. Angry Doc or ninja will give you a definitive answer.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Pre Joining Fitness booklet has not been updated - as stated above, full press-ups for females.

BMI, bearing in mind age & gender also alter the target weight, you are only a kilo or two out & the medical examiner may well apply a degree of discretion. Then again, they may not. A litre of water, by the way, weighs a kilo.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I used to struggle with the 'manly' press ups but just build them up slowly and in no time you'll be able to smash them out! I used an app on my phone and just made sure i did it everyday alongside the other fitness work like running, swimming etc. i found doing the plank as well everyday got me used to being on me toes.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I think you'd be amazed how much weight you could put on if you just let yourself go. Carb up for a week - enjoy it!
  8. 'Box press-ups'.

9. Once you are in the RN, don't worry about being underweight, I don't think I ever came across a female member of the RN who suffered from being underweight. Infact seeing as Freddie Mercury once stated that "Fat Bottom girls make the rocking world go round", the RN has recentley been commended as recognition for the contribution it has made to astrophysics.
  10. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Grat Issue arse will whack a good few lbs on.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  11. Thanks everyone! I'll just keep eating the second and tripple portions I am at the moment, and try really hard to build up these press ups! Thanks for your speedy answers too!
  12. BMI, how I hate it so. It is a poor measure of the body, but it is the standard used.

The AFCO Dr may make you TMU for being underweight, but it is easier to put weight on rather than lose it. You could try a weights routine to build a little muscle, not Miss Universe scale, as this weighs more than fat. Please don't resort to the protein supplements (I can foresee some comments written on this one) as they cost a packet and aren't a replacement for a good diet.

Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One X using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Naughty step, now
    • Like Like x 3
  14. I'm in a very similar situation, albeit being the opposite sex to the OP.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

There's only one way to settle this....
  16. AD. I ought to have added that in isolation BMI isn't an accurate assessment, but should be used alongside Waist Circumference. This would be of much more value in the assessment.
    Being a bit controversial, I would raise the BMI limit to 20 or 21 for some branches such as RM - maybe that change will happen in the future.

Sent from my HTC One X using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  17. Ninja_Stoker

OK, if not a fight pre se, a shin kicking contest then?
  18. Surely muscle protects joints in a way which fat doesn't, though, and consistent repetition of a set of joint motions involved in training to a professional level in a single, specific discipline/sport must also play quite a role in professional athelete joint wear.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say about the use of BMI being reasonable, but the physical demands on most of the navy (standfast RM) are quite different to those of a professional athlete.
  19. Is it medically possible to get knee pain from traversing ladders? When on crew, my knees always ache, especially when cold.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  20. Alright, fair one.