Medical and BMI

Hi,

I am considering applying to the royal navy, I have been reading alot of posts on here where people have had a BMI too high and having to drop it for the medical. I am 6ft5 and currently 115kg which is a BMI of 30, I do alot of weight training so I have a rugby build, my waste is below the 94cm requirement. I would need to drop to 96kg to be within the acceptable range for the medical which I could do but dont know that I could maintain it.

Do you get regular medicals after you have joined and do you need to stay below the 25 BMI for the duration of your service?

I don't know of any annual BMI tests, as long as you pass RNFT you're usually good.

I have definitely seen personnel who can't possibly be below a BMI of 25. I'm not sure how this is managed but as I said, RNFT is the standard.

Worth checking with your AFCO if you're unsure.

I don't know of any annual BMI tests, as long as you pass RNFT you're usually good.

I have definitely seen personnel who can't possibly be below a BMI of 25. I'm not sure how this is managed but as I said, RNFT is the standard.

Worth checking with your AFCO if you're unsure.
Also not worth paying any attention to Chalk Bosun.

You don't get to do the fitness test if you don't pass the medical. BMI of 30 is a bit high even with your "rugby build". 28 is the max BMI with very little room for manoeuvre. Candidates have managed to lose weight and be within the BMI requiremnts and pass the PJFT only to put the weight back on, arrive at HMS Raleigh and be sent home on day 2.

Sandra

Midshipman
If your bmi is higher than 25 they will take your waist measurement and as long as you are within that you will pass no problem. I think for men the waist size is either 92cm or 94cm I’ve lost 4 stone to join the Navy and my bmi was over 25 not much but my waist was 80cm ao for a female that was acceptable and I passed

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
If your bmi is higher than 25 they will take your waist measurement and as long as you are within that you will pass no problem. I think for men the waist size is either 92cm or 94cm I’ve lost 4 stone to join the Navy and my bmi was over 25 not much but my waist was 80cm ao for a female that was acceptable and I passed
Higher than 28 they measure your waist from what the website says.But as everyone is saying its cutting it fine,I knuckled down and dropped 4st so my BMI is 23 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with your AFCO, but best to drop a few puonds, once you are through basic training, as long as you are fit you will be ok, I failed all my medical inservice, according to BMI. I was even high at 16 like you Rugby & weights, with lots of judo, but I did still lose weight to join, then put it back on.