Medical Acquaint Visit

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by AM1990, Jul 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone

Basically I am applying for the Medical Cadetship with the Royal Navy, and recently passed my recruit test in June. Upon informing me that I passed, the recruitment officer said that she would forward my details to the medical personnel in Portsmouth regarding a medical acquaint visit, where I would have the opportunity to meet other medical Officers, become a bit more familiar with the role of Medical Officer, and possibly see a medical unit/department on one of the ships.

A member of staff from Portsmouth then contacted me a few hours after having sat my recruit test to arrange this acquaint visit. However, the visit coincides with my first week back at university for my second year, with all other available dates also falling within term dates at the university. I was therefore wondering if anyone has been in this situation before, as I would imagine (hope) that there are a few current or prospective medical officers on here who have maybe been on such a visit and perhaps therefore had a similar situation.

I'm looking to contact my university medical school to ask permission to miss the few days at the start of the year to attend the visit, as I think it's really important prior to the AIB and for my career in general, and it's not as if I'm simply blowing off university for a holiday or anything, as it is pertinent to my course and career in general. Has anyone had to do this before regarding an acquaint visit?

Apologies for the long-winded post, and any and all advice would be much appreciated.

2. Make every attempt to go , my daughter had her visit this month ,and found it very useful ,it clarified the career choices and progression in the service.This was the only realistic one she could get to due to study and end of year exams
  3. Universities are generally supportive of career choices, it' not like you are skipping to go on holiday. Be up front and ask.
  4. Universities readily accommodate time off for placement interviews so I can't see why this would be any different.
    Don't dither, act.