Media Studies Do Not Count

Pontius

War Hero
As advised in some of the earlier comments the Navy can pick and choose who they want with such demand to get in

Yes, they can, but your son is already a very good contender otherwise he wouldn't have been awarded a bursary.

I believe he has two options, not necessarily mutually exclusive. Firstly, he can apply to the good nature of the AIB and appeal against the goalposts having been moved during his bursary period, i.e. when he was awarded the bursary his AS grade would have counted and, so, he has actually abided by the requirement to attain certain grades. Secondly, if it is an option to gain UCAS points in a separate sitting, then he should get his arse in gear, put in some more effort and re-take the exam as soon as possible to 'up' his grade. (Maybe Ninja can let us know if this is possible).

If he wants to join the RN then he will regret doing the Junior Service.

Robert Carie

Midshipman
Thanks Pontius

He should be back home from up North by the early hours of Saturday the 9th September so will get him to phone the AIB and see where we go from there. Hopefully the climbing holiday will clear his thoughts a little and then go forward.
Once he has made his mind up he goes for something and does not let go. Fingers crossed.
Again I would like to personally thank you all for your advice as a civilian chap and although family and relatives were all in the Navy including my dad it was many years ago and the rules change.

Robert Carie

Midshipman
Looks like the end of the road for my son as he went into the city today for an interview with the Navy recruitment officer and was told that the AIB had sent a letter from Lieutenant Commander (Rtd) and that holds up. Apparently he sets the bar and nothing can be done once his decision is made and the letter is sent out.
We did have a chat this morning with one of the training officers but again it was straight back to the AIB and round in circles. One advantage of private industry is that at least you can discuss and sometimes be given a second chance in life.
So again thank you all for your advice but the thread obviously ends here and he will look elsewhere.

Archangel

Badgeman
I think you're being very dour about this.

If we wants to join the RN as an Officer, he needs to re-sit an exam and re-apply. It's not the end of the road by any means, and he's already got an AIB pass so he'll know what to do next time, as well.

Totally giving up on the Navy because of one bad exam seems like a cop-out to be honest.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
If I understand it correctly, all he has to do to get enough points is to resit one exam to get a B - that's not a huge ask if he can focus on just that one subject, surely?

Though that does come with the waiting time, which may not be what he wants.

Robert Carie

Midshipman
Thanks WannabeAdmiral

He has had a discussion about where to go from here and does not want to go back to study as it would mean 2019 before he could try again and jump through all the hoops. Have really tried to push him into studying again for a better grade but no luck.

Apparently one of the other armed forces have shown a keen interest in him plus he wants to study Russian in his own spare time. His decision at the end of the day and he will have to live with it. Obviously I am gutted about the whole affair but he can be very stubborn once his mind is made up. Properly it was that that got him through all the courses he attended with the armed forces since the age of 16 competing with elders.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks WannabeAdmiral

He has had a discussion about where to go from here and does not want to go back to study as it would mean 2019 before he could try again and jump through all the hoops. Have really tried to push him into studying again for a better grade but no luck.

Apparently one of the other armed forces have shown a keen interest in him plus he wants to study Russian in his own spare time. His decision at the end of the day and he will have to live with it. Obviously I am gutted about the whole affair but he can be very stubborn once his mind is made up. Properly it was that that got him through all the courses he attended with the armed forces since the age of 16 competing with elders.
The decision with regard the career options available clearly rests with the individual. If studying Russian, in his spare time, it maybe worth looking if there is scope to regain the UCAS shortfall.

Whilst I appreciate we all have our own views on what particular level of entry appeals to us, my own view is that those who resolutely rule-out rating/other rank entry maybe biting their nose off to spite their face.

The advantage of joining as a rating is that the individual undertakes the hands-on element of those they intend managing and arguably develops their style of leadership from a more holistic background rather than from a classroom generated theoretical or imagined angle. Those applying for officer from within the service do not need A Levels, just the GCSEs.

Which is the better Officer, direct entry or those commissioned from within?

To my mind both can be very good. If you ask those who are not officers for an unbiased opinion, you may well be surprised to learn who is afforded the greater respect when viewed looking-up rather than perceived by those looking from aloft. As ever, it's not about popularity, but the ability and attitude of the individual.

Good luck to your son.

Sumo

War Hero
As parents we can guide our children the best we can, if they choose to listen, we sometimes never know.
@Ninja_Stoker advise is sound, if he is made of the right stuff, he can make RN officer from the bottom up.
For most becoming an officer is know easy task, some lucky sods drift through life on a cloud achieving every thing they wish, that was never me, I always had to graft.
God luck to your lad, sometimes the easy option is not the best?

Robert Carie

Midshipman
Thanks chaps for the information.

Will suggest some of the other areas of interest in the navy as he does not want to go back to college or school studying till 2019 but wants to be out there. RFA had not thought about that one (thanks Matt247). Has been looking at the RAF also as they would have him in with his present studies. He had a long chat with the Navy careers officer but even he pointed out that he would probably get fed up as a rating having given him a few tests and a brain teaser.
Found himself a day job whilst he makes up his mind which of the forces he will go with. Can only suggest as parents know only to well. Having seen most of his friends all leave home for university this week has been another downer for him having assumed the scholarship route was in the bag and he would have been in Dartmouth when they all left for university.