Media publication insults war widows

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Always_a_Civvy, Sep 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Independent: 22 September 2006

Magazine requested 'photogenic' war widows
    By Guy Adams

The editor of Glamour magazine has apologised after a reporter issued an appeal for "photogenic" modern war widows.

Jo Elvin said she was "outraged and sorry" that Military Families Against the War had been sent an e-mail asking if they could provide case-studies of women, aged between 30 and 38, whose husbands had been killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The e-mail, sent by a freelance reporter, Victoria Lambert, commissioned to write a feature, asks MFAW to arrange interviews, provided the women are attractive enough. "Glamour is very looks-conscious so, at the risk of sounding ridiculous, they need to be photogenic, or at least comfortable in front of a camera!" it read. "The editor likes to approve each case history, so when I send her a short bio ("X is aged X and lost her husband X in the war X") she likes to see a jpeg pic too. I know this is a big ask, but it's something she demands! Hey ho!"

MFAW refused to co-operate. "We are sad as much as angry about it," a spokesperson said.

source: http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article1696155.ece

2. So outrageous it was worth saying twice, and I couldn't agree more. When will the media learn that the Services are not out there doing their job so that some twit of a luvvy can sell more copies of their tatty little magazine or newspaper. Thank goodness MFAW are not willing to prostitute themselves and the Forces for PR - who says there's no such thing as bad publicity?

And who the hell says " hey ho" these days?

3. :oops: Mistake rectified. Thanks Brains! Steve.