Media Items of Naval Interest (MINI)

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Blackrat, May 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

SJRM_RN posted this on another thread. It would seem that the reason for his absence on this site is because he (and others) are getting a bit fed up of all the one line news posts. He said he made a suggestion about this before;

Which prompted the following from Blobbs;

Which led to this reply;

To be honest, he makes a fair point. I know this site has many various topics, but if major contributors like this are being put off the site, shouldn't we try to do something? I believe we should have news and that, but maybe it can be contained into the one thread. What do other people think?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes. I think I kind of agreed with Jimbo's original suggestion IIRC. His expansion above, that posters should include a brief summary of the content of the link makes perfect sense too.
  3. Agree all ends up.
  4. I think I agreed with Stix last time round so it gets my vote.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I must admit I do get the hump with the same stories being posted by Mod_RSS and a few other posters, I can see the merit in having one thread in a serious forum and one in a piss take zone but unfortunately that's not how they get posted.

Perhaps members could try logging on differently... last 50/new posts/forums etc and see if one of those formats suits them better by not containing as much repetitive news stories?

...... And before anyone says "check if it's been posted before" the biggest culprit of posting something already covered is Mod-RSS, it cant keep up with the news guru's on here.
  6. Blackrat

Anyone else care to comment?
  7. Blackrat

Stix. The whole point of the thread is to get people to air their views on the subject you have raised. In any event, i've put it in site issues so the CO's can see it. Hopefully, we can sort something out. I can't promise a damn thing, i can only but try.
  8. It's got to be worth trying, especially considering the number of MoD News threads that have 0 replies clogging up the Last 50 page.
  9. I really can't see why it matters, but whatever happens I'll still play on here. It is, after all, only a game.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Part of an answer I gave to a poster who questioned WTF the Foreign Office has to do with the RN.

Too few posters have much interest in how the world works and impacts on Defence ( which is a shame) unless it puts the price of rum up or lets women command ships.
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Its all something to read, a lot is informative, and not like some of the crap that appears from time to time. Have to agree with Seadog, a lot show little interest on what goes on around them. Sign of the times.
  12. Sorry for being a bit slow on getting aboard this (see what I did there!) but I've now disabled the MoD_RSS feed. Hopefully this will improve things?
  13. Hmm !! That also means we lose a great source of images, oh well !!!
  14. Maybe a form of library listing for those one line news thingies where no responses can be made, then duplicated into the main forum for the responses, piss taking, abuse and crayoning etc. Thus one can read the articles them go comment on them if one feels the need to.
  15. Blackrat

The fat lady's not singing yet amigo. It's been passed up the chain.
  16. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I feel dirty. I agree with the filthy Loggie.
  17. As always, apologies for the delay. Unfortunately the suggestion to create a daily 'MoD_RSS' thread isn't one that we can easily achieve. It would require manual intervention by the moderators to merge the multiple threads created by 'MoD_RSS' into a daily one. This would rapidly become a major pain in the ARRSE.....
  18. Surely you could just start doing this and then hope that everyone else starts to help?
  19. Blackrat

What if a sticky entitled MINI was put in current affairs? Posters could be encouraged to place all that stuff in there. If seen somewhere else, surely a MOD could move it? That sound ok?
  20. Blackrat

Yes, yes, i know this. I was simplifying it for the benefit of everyone else!

You'll be seeing badgers next.
    • Like Like x 1