Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Medals & Stuff

brendan498

War Hero
Re: A few questions, cant find a proper answer anywhere!

you are right ninja the Sea shore ratio is that but like me i wanted to travel so was always volunteering for sea time, lots of MAs get love struck with Naval Nurses so opt for Shore side, i was just addicted to CSB, but happy Christmas James and Ninja
ps Ninja i asked you a question about vets medal and wrote of for it i got it the other day so thanks for that i noticed one was sold for 31 quid on ebay i dont think my South Atlantic medal is worth that much.
Bren

brendan498 said:
i asked you a question about vets medal and wrote of for it i got it the other day so thanks for that i noticed one was sold for 31 quid on ebay i dont think my South Atlantic medal is worth that much.
Bren

Funnily enough, my gongs (Avatar) including the SAM were valued by a collector at £1000! (Apparently the ship/unit name on the medal dictates the price) I'm not intending flogging them & very much doubt they're worth that much, but maybe there are some lunatic rich collectors out there or maybe he was extracting a sample!

Happy Chrimbo anyway :thumright:

Ninja_Stoker said:
brendan498 said:
i asked you a question about vets medal and wrote of for it i got it the other day so thanks for that i noticed one was sold for 31 quid on ebay i dont think my South Atlantic medal is worth that much.
Bren

Funnily enough, my gongs (Avatar) including the SAM were valued by a collector at £1000! (Apparently the ship/unit name on the medal dictates the price) I'm not intending flogging them & very much doubt they're worth that much, but maybe there are some lunatic rich collectors out there or maybe he was extracting a sample!

I got offered 3k for a rolex that the Queen *cough* gave me, rare as rocking horse shite apparantly, Bergs might have one as well. :dwarf:

might be worth more dont intend selling it either, mines a pirate SAMA medal the only ship to do breakfast at the right time , sink a ship , scrub the flats ,get torpedoed,and still feel bitter about the pint of lager i left in boobs

Ninja_Stoker said:
brendan498 said:
Bren

Collecting medal is a hobby of mine. While I don't collect modern (post 1945) medals the prices that some modern medal groups command can be a tad eye watering.

im not talking medals i had to leave a pint in boobs on 2 april 1982 that was bad enough **** the Argies wheres my pint

Ninja_Stoker said:
brendan498 said:
Bren

Could be a Glasgow bus driver looking to be famous once again!!

Backpacker1uk said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
but maybe there are some lunatic rich collectors out there or maybe he was extracting a sample!

Could be a Glasgow bus driver looking to be famous once again!!

By Jove, I think you've nailed it in one!

I had my medal group valued for insurance purposes;
SAM with Rosette
NATO (F.R.Y clasp)
OSM (Afghan)
Iraq Medal
QE2JM
LS&GC(RN)

Valued at £1100. The SAM alone was valued at £900. So the SAM sold on eBay for £31 would have been a copy, which have flooded the market on the 25th anniversary of the Falklands War.

Hi Mad-Doc

How long ago did you get it valued? It should be worth more than that now - esp if either the Afghan or Iraq have clasps.

I would say on current trends they are worth nearer the £1500 mark....

regards

Nick

Nick,

I had them valued nearly a year ago. The Iraq Medal has the 19 March - clasp. I am not entitled to the clasp on the OSM (Afghan) - was serving on a RFA at the time.

Latest Threads