Medals & Stuff

Re: A few questions, cant find a proper answer anywhere!

you are right ninja the Sea shore ratio is that but like me i wanted to travel so was always volunteering for sea time, lots of MAs get love struck with Naval Nurses so opt for Shore side, i was just addicted to CSB, but happy Christmas James and Ninja
ps Ninja i asked you a question about vets medal and wrote of for it i got it the other day so thanks for that i noticed one was sold for 31 quid on ebay i dont think my South Atlantic medal is worth that much.
Bren

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

brendan498 said:
i asked you a question about vets medal and wrote of for it i got it the other day so thanks for that i noticed one was sold for 31 quid on ebay i dont think my South Atlantic medal is worth that much.
Bren
Funnily enough, my gongs (Avatar) including the SAM were valued by a collector at £1000! (Apparently the ship/unit name on the medal dictates the price) I'm not intending flogging them & very much doubt they're worth that much, but maybe there are some lunatic rich collectors out there or maybe he was extracting a sample!

Happy Chrimbo anyway :thumright:

wet_blobby

War Hero

Ninja_Stoker said:
brendan498 said:
i asked you a question about vets medal and wrote of for it i got it the other day so thanks for that i noticed one was sold for 31 quid on ebay i dont think my South Atlantic medal is worth that much.
Bren
Funnily enough, my gongs (Avatar) including the SAM were valued by a collector at £1000! (Apparently the ship/unit name on the medal dictates the price) I'm not intending flogging them & very much doubt they're worth that much, but maybe there are some lunatic rich collectors out there or maybe he was extracting a sample!

I got offered 3k for a rolex that the Queen *cough* gave me, rare as rocking horse shite apparantly, Bergs might have one as well. :dwarf:

might be worth more dont intend selling it either, mines a pirate SAMA medal the only ship to do breakfast at the right time , sink a ship , scrub the flats ,get torpedoed,and still feel bitter about the pint of lager i left in boobs

Ninja_Stoker said:
brendan498 said:
Bren

Collecting medal is a hobby of mine. While I don't collect modern (post 1945) medals the prices that some modern medal groups command can be a tad eye watering.

im not talking medals i had to leave a pint in boobs on 2 april 1982 that was bad enough **** the Argies wheres my pint

Ninja_Stoker said:
brendan498 said:
Bren

Could be a Glasgow bus driver looking to be famous once again!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Backpacker1uk said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
but maybe there are some lunatic rich collectors out there or maybe he was extracting a sample!
Could be a Glasgow bus driver looking to be famous once again!!
By Jove, I think you've nailed it in one!

I had my medal group valued for insurance purposes;
SAM with Rosette
NATO (F.R.Y clasp)
OSM (Afghan)
Iraq Medal
QE2JM
LS&GC(RN)

Valued at £1100. The SAM alone was valued at £900. So the SAM sold on eBay for £31 would have been a copy, which have flooded the market on the 25th anniversary of the Falklands War.

Hi Mad-Doc

How long ago did you get it valued? It should be worth more than that now - esp if either the Afghan or Iraq have clasps.

I would say on current trends they are worth nearer the £1500 mark....

regards

Nick

Nick,

I had them valued nearly a year ago. The Iraq Medal has the 19 March - clasp. I am not entitled to the clasp on the OSM (Afghan) - was serving on a RFA at the time.