Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medals question

Hi All,
I'm hoping you can help me and my dad. We're trying to find out about the service medals awarded to my Grandad. It's an odd situation, but my dad never knew his father and believed that he'd died during the war. It only turned out (years later) that we found out that he'd not only survived the war, but got remarried, had another family and lived to a ripe old age. We've only got one photo of him, taken not long before he died, wearing his medals. As far as we’re aware the medals are:

1. 1939-45 Star
2. Atlantic star
3. Defence medal
4. not sure
5. no idea

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

We’ve been unable to find out anything about his service history. My Dad has written to the War Office, but they say that they’ve no record of him. They admit that some records were destroyed during the war, but if he was still alive at the end of the war, there should be some kind or record of him. Shouldn’t there? Again, any suggestions or advice would be most helpful!

DJ

sweetpea

War Hero
Digger,

No. 4 is the War Medal.

No. 5 Medal is the Canada Volunteer Service Medal.
Authorised in 1943 for all Canadian men and women of all ranks who volunteered for WW2 service. The Dieppe Clasp is worn on this medal.

This might explain why his service record does not appear in the WW2 British Service Records that are held by the MoD.

SP.

Samson

Badgeman
The last two medals are:

War Medal 1939–1945 - awarded to those who had served in the Armed Forces or Merchant Navy full-time for at least 28 days between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945

Canadian Volunteer Service Medal - granted to persons of any rank in the Naval, Military or Air Forces of Canada who voluntarily served on Active Service and have honourably completed eighteen months (540 days) total voluntary service from September 3, 1939 to March 1, 1947

Wow! Thank you all, so much! This is brilliant ... if a little confusing! My Dad and I have started to believe that my Granddad was a bit of a Walt. I think it's his (my Granddad's) birth certificate says that his father (my Great grand father) was a stoker in the RN, but his first Marriage cert gives his father as a radio salesman ... and then his second marriage cert lists him as a retired inspector of the Canadian Mounted Police. As I say, we thought he was attempting to progressively 'improve' his family tree - maybe there's something in all this, after all! My Canadian wife finds this all a little odd! :)

I talked with my dad on the phone this evening and he's planning to seriously check out the RCMP now - he sends his thanks to you all and so do I!

DJ

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Medals Question Blogs 4
MoD_RSS Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Rootstech London 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Your chance to question Ministry of Defence medals and records experts at Family History Shows MoD News 0
F Rum Ration Medals question Diamond Lil's 2
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
soleil ForcesNet: "Dambuster Guy Gibson’s Medals On Display In Lincolnshire" History 6
O Advice needed on order of medals earned by my Granddad in WW2 History 29
Alfacharlie Medals. Diamond Lil's 12
janner 2018 Upgrade - Rum Ration Medals and Ranks Site Issues 8
McGrew Oh dear - Phil's got his medals wrong The Fleet 20
MoD_RSS News story: UK TROOPS AWARDED UN MEDALS FOR SOUTH SUDAN PEACEKEEPING MISSION MoD News 0
N Medals On Navy Net!? Site Issues 13
MoD_RSS Press release: UK troops awarded medals for UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan MoD News 0
Z RFA medals? RFA 19
Stirlin Medals. Diamond Lil's 6
MoD_RSS News story: The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh Receive Long Service and Good Conduct Medals MoD News 2
shellbackmac Medals at funeral? UPO 8
S Clasps to Crimea Medals for RM History 6
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
N WW2 Awards - Badges - Medals and understanding them History 63
A Medals The Quarterdeck 2
sweetpea 'I was told to pay death duty on Dad's medals'. Current Affairs 14
RomanyRanner Medals for all ! MoD News 40
soleil Mail: 'RN Veteran Finally Receives His Medals, 64 Years After They Were Lost In Post' History 3
W Wearing of medals on civilian black tie The Quarterdeck 14
MoD_RSS Announcement: Light Dragoons receive Afghanistan medals MoD News 2
MoD_RSS News story: First Arctic Star medals already in production MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Multiple Threads - Arctic Convoy Medals Site Issues 2
finknottle Two George Medals awarded Current Affairs 2
soleil Express: "Hero Medals Stolen" Social & Reunions 1
B Nelson UPO - Medals UPO 0
trelawney126 Walt Alert. Bugle and Medals Stolen The Gash Barge 4
Ninja_Stoker Identify the medals The Quarterdeck 20
trelawney126 And the Gold Medals for Asylum goes to..... The Gash Barge 35
soleil ITV: RMBS Personnel (Collingwood) Herald The Arrival Of Olympic Medals At The Tower The Corps 0
soleil Major Review Seeks Views On Campaign Medals The Quarterdeck 29
soleil RN Website: "Raleigh Sailors Receive Diamond Jubilee Medals" Bases / Shore Est 16
WreckerL What toy medals would you have made Diamond Lil's 34
MoD_RSS Junglies receive Afghanistan medals Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Commando Logistic Regiment receives Afghanistan medals Current Affairs 1
Ninja_Stoker Mutleys Medals Diamond Lil's 41
fluffyspanners claim for medals RFA 5
T Hanging medals correctly Current Affairs 5
I Wearing of Relatives' Medals on Uniform Submariners 23
S Medals? Current Affairs 81
MoD_RSS Prince Harry presents medals to Gulf mine warfare sailors Current Affairs 0
soleil Prince Harry To Present Medals To MCMV Personnel The Fleet 2
soleil NMRN Portsmouth: 6/11 Talk: 'Shining Examples: Naval Medals' History 0
H New Criteria: Operational Medals Southern Gulf. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 40