Medals Question

Hi Guys

CAN YOU HELP?

I needed some replacement medals for my Dad to wear just before he died at an RNR Parade in Bridport in 2004.

The shop I went to In Nottingham is no longer there but the owner raised a question I have never had answered. My Dad was issued the standard Defence and War Medals, then after a query with the Admiralty, a letter of acknowledgement arrived confirming that he was also entitled to the Atlantic Star and that's where it all goes awry.

The "medal" shop man said if he was based out of in Freetown / Gib etc, and on North-Atlantic conveys 1943-45 (as he was), then he should have been awarded two other medals too. the shopman said they would both be Stars. I wondered if anyone else has them, and or knows what they should have been?

C/JX 572621 David Swift

Dad---RN-pass-pic.gif

HMS Philoctetes
HMS Edinburgh Castle
HMS Verity
HMS Wolverine
HMS Cowslip
HMS Cupinsay
MS Macator
MS Denpo
MS Highland Castle

Many thanks
David

D

Deleted 103788

Hi Guys

CAN YOU HELP?

I needed some replacement medals for my Dad to wear just before he died at an RNR Parade in Bridport in 2004.

The shop I went to In Nottingham is no longer there but the owner raised a question I have never had answered. My Dad was issued the standard Defence and War Medals, then after a query with the Admiralty, a letter of acknowledgement arrived confirming that he was also entitled to the Atlantic Star and that's where it all goes awry.

The "medal" shop man said if he was based out of in Freetown / Gib etc, and on North-Atlantic conveys 1943-45 (as he was), then he should have been awarded two other medals too. the shopman said they would both be Stars. I wondered if anyone else has them, and or knows what they should have been?

C/JX 572621 David Swift

View attachment 55475

HMS Philoctetes
HMS Edinburgh Castle
HMS Verity
HMS Wolverine
HMS Cowslip
HMS Cupinsay
MS Macator
MS Denpo
MS Highland Castle

Many thanks
David
I think it's Dempo and Mercator . Highland Castle ? Several ....Castle's were HMT's but Highland I'm not sure.

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
Hi Guys

CAN YOU HELP?

C/JX 572621 David Swift

View attachment 55475

HMS Philoctetes
HMS Edinburgh Castle
HMS Verity
HMS Wolverine
HMS Cowslip
HMS Cupinsay
MS Macator
MS Denpo
MS Highland Castle

Many thanks
David
Good afternoon David

Whilst it's difficult to be categorical without some idea of the dates for service in the ships specified, it would appear that your father would almost definitely qualified for the 1939-45 Star, and probably the Africa Star (for service in the Med but not in West Africa), and perhaps even the Arctic Star which was only instituted in 2012, some years after your father's death. Depending on the timing, service in WOLVERINE alone would appear to have qualified men for the latter two, since she had a very active war.

May I therefore suggest that you have a look at the criteria contained in https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility and return to the charge on the lines recommended by Waspie and Salty-Dog.

Good hunting, and what an appropriate day on which to start the search!

Jack

Latest Threads