Medals on Mess Jacket

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Jimbo3188, Feb 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. About time I got them on

I'd rather ask for expert advice on here, than ask people I know and get the stick that goes with it!

Do you have the ribbon and beckets sewn onto mess jacket as you do with 1's? Or is the miniature medal simply sewn straight on? Or does it have a pin on the back of the medal ribbon (if so, why doesnt mine??!)

Will any tailor be "in the know" on how to do it, where to put it, legnth of ribbon etc??

Cheers guys!

2. Jimbo...any tailor will be "in the know" and how to do it and where to put it, length etc; but that's my mind for you!!!! :grin: :grin: :wink:

Seriously. I'm sorry can't help you there but sure that someone on this site will help!! :roll: :roll:

(The voices made me do it)
  3. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

When I got my mess undress, the tailor (Faslane) told me to get miniature medals and a matching set of miniature ribbons mounted on bars with pins and not to get them sewn on to the jacket (I also was told not to bother with beckets). For the miniatures, I used Worcestershire Medal Service as the supplier for my miniatures and also for mounting the full-size medals who also offer an excellent mail-order service.
  4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Minature ribbons are not worn on mess kit any more, and the medals themselves come with a brooch type pin - there is no need for beckets.
  5. Erm, yes they are!!
    Mine are exactly the same as the full size medals, but with no ribbons on the mess jacket, just the beckets.

Unless not wearing them is purely an RNR thing, in which case i'm talking out of my arse!!
  6. I got my last update done about 18 months ago, my mess jacket has beckets.

No miniature ribbons, just medals.
  7. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I concur :lol:
  8. Medal ribbons or beckets are not required on mess undress jackets for S/Rates. The medals come in a brooch pattern and are clipped on to the left lapel
  9. When were miniature ribbons previously worn?

Of course you would want at least the beckets to poking giant holes in your lapels.
  10. silverfox

minature medals were worn when wearing a stiff fronted shirt and white waistcoat, for all other occasionsyou would wear ribbons. There was a brief period when they changed the regs when you would wear ribboms if you were duty on board to stop them flapping about but that was short lived and as I was on a flat top at the time, was never sure if the Cdr wasn't just making it up!!
  11. Siver fox is correct but to expand on his dit. Today the RN has fallen in line with the other services and min medals are always worn on mess kit. The rule used to be that they were worn on mess dress and ribbons only on mess undress. However if the rig was mess undress and there were Pongos present ,mins were worn. The only time ribbons are worn now is by an Officer on duty if in mess undress. The ribbons worn in the evening were always a broach. they were never sewn on. My point, OODs normally wear 1s any way. I would suggest that an RNR officer has no need to get a broach. I certainly have never worn one.

Tailors can never be relied upon to be totaly up to date with current regs and will always try to sell you some thing you don't need any way.

Any doubt look in BR81. (Or ask a senior Mess Mate)

ps you are not Jim30 in diguise are you, This is the sort of question he would ask!
  12. Once your miniatures are pinned on your lapel they stay on, until you put your mess undress in for its annual dry clean! So no lapels like pin cushions!
  13. Cheers for the replies chaps.

Now have miniature complete with brooch mounting.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of BR81 in their head/to hand?

Where abouts does it go on the left lapel?

Cheers again,

14. silverfox

15. Just a question?

As a person who has always been opposed to medals that were not awarded for acts of bravery but just for being there, is it compulsory to wear your medal/medals.

I ask this as I may in th future have to attend, as a civvy a formal do in a Senior Rates Mess where I know they take these things seriously. I of course would wish to show due respect to my host and the mess so would swallow my opinions. So together with my dolphins should I be wearing the ribbon/medal depending on the event?

16. I think for a black tie affair it's entirely discretionary although from memory I don't remember ever seeing anyone wearing dolphins on a dinner suit.

I have some sympathy with your position but personally I'd ask him what he thinks, since he'll be the one censured after the fact if there is an issue.
  17. So, anyone care to share where they do go?!

18. Never put ribbons on a DJ! (The invitation should state what to wear. Mins/Neck Decorations/ Orders, etc.) As for Dolphins? Well I wouldn't but then some people have them on their PJs. Wafus and Crabs certainly won't put wings on civvys. (They will just spend the entire evening telling you about being a pilot. ) As for the subject of what medals were awarded for, well, the majority were awarded for just being there. Of course the amount of danger differs enormously between one "There" and another.
    If HM has signed the apropriate act for you to have a medal, wear it. Think of it as a royal command. Just don't be seen wearing one of those ones that you bought yourself.