Medals, head gear and saluting Standards on parade?

A

angrydoc

Guest
Bloody hell. If you're going to wear uniform to a high profile event at least make sure you know what you're supposed to be doing. Common sense.

Wearing someone else's medals on No 1s? Again, common sense.

Christ almighty! Sort yourselves out people.
 

hookyh

Lantern Swinger
Cheers for the correcting on my question guys. I thought it was fair dinkum, although never done it myself, have seen it and not batted an eyelid. Good to know though. It's important to get these things right in my eyes.

Never heard of anyone wearing medals on a greatcoat before, that's a new one on me!

Purple, if you're serious (and not just being humorous) be advised that RN Plod are watching ebay and anyone selling issued kit is liable to get a knock!
 
hookyh said:
Never heard of anyone wearing medals on a greatcoat before, that's a new one on me!

They weren't, was simply remarking on how well turned out they were. I think ceremonial always looks more steely and picturesque in the cold of winter.
 

Guzzler

War Hero
hookyh said:
Purple, if you're serious (and not just being humorous) be advised that RN Plod are watching ebay and anyone selling issued kit is liable to get a knock!

But if he bought it, as stated, surely he can do what the hell he likes with it?
 

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Moderator
Given that the jacket in question was bought, not issued, and looks suspiciously like it has Kings buttons on, I think I could have a most amusing conversation with RN Plod :)
 

clanky

War Hero
Guzzler said:
hookyh said:
Purple, if you're serious (and not just being humorous) be advised that RN Plod are watching ebay and anyone selling issued kit is liable to get a knock!

But if he bought it, as stated, surely he can do what the hell he likes with it?

Given the huge amount of pussers kit up for sale on ebay, can we assume the RN plod(whoever they are), are doing the usual top notch job?
 

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Guzzler said:
hookyh said:
Purple, if you're serious (and not just being humorous) be advised that RN Plod are watching ebay and anyone selling issued kit is liable to get a knock!

But if he bought it, as stated, surely he can do what the hell he likes with it?

Likewise, what about when you leave the mob and they let you keep all the shite you have accumalated over the years? If I sell that to some Walter on ebay will I get a knock from some branch failure with an NP armband?
 

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
Here we go then, from BR1834 (RN Ceremonial & Drill Man) regarding saluting the Standards:

e. Salutes by Organized Parties.

(1) On the march, when commanded by an officer, the Officer is to give the order ‘Eyes - Right’ (or Left) and is to salute, when passing:

(a) The Queen's Colours of the Royal Navy, White Ensign Ceremonial
Colours, or Queens Colours, Regimental Colours, Standards and
Guidons of the Royal Marines, Army and Royal Air Force uncased.
(b) An officer senior to himself and equivalent ranks in the other services.
(c) The coffin, when a funeral procession is passing.

I would argue that the standards such as RNA etc ARE RN standards as they have royal approval to fly the WE in the upper quadrant. This qualifying them for a salute as stated above.

I provided armed sentinels at a local Cenotaph of 4 senior cadets on Sunday, I ordered GS as the standards marched past. This in-it-self nearly put a lump in the throats of those watching. It was more than appreciated by the old boys..!
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
2_deck_dash said:
Likewise, what about when you leave the mob and they let you keep all the shite you have accumalated over the years? If I sell that to some Walter on ebay will I get a knock from some branch failure with an NP armband?

I... er.... my friend didn't :)
 

2_deck_dash

War Hero
FlagWagger said:
2_deck_dash said:
Likewise, what about when you leave the mob and they let you keep all the shite you have accumalated over the years? If I sell that to some Walter on ebay will I get a knock from some branch failure with an NP armband?

I... er.... my friend didn't :)

Roger! :D
 

Deckhead_Inspector

Lantern Swinger
Father's (mother's) and Grand Father's medals may be worn on right brest in civvys, but NEVER in rig! Medals awarded by the RNLI or the Royal Humane Society are worn on the right in rig, as they are not awarded by the Crown but are recognised by the RN.
Associations standards may be saluted but I would not make a habit of it, however, doing it keeps the old boys happy. As far as the Navy is concerned you are only required to salute uncased colours or a ceremonial white ensign when paraded ashore. As far as a hat is concerned, get a bowler!

(R 12, would you salute a Matlot in C95 just because he has an Ensign on his arm?. No, thought not.)

ps. Great Coats are loaned to the Cenotaph Guard and worn buttoned up to the throat as only t shirts are worn underneath. Medals are not worn on uniform overcoats of any description before any one asks,
 
Top