Medals, head gear and saluting Standards on parade?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by trehorn, Nov 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone give me the official line on the following please;

1. Wearing of medals on parade.

I was under the impression that you could wear a relatives medals on the right breast until such time as you were awarded any yourself, at which time you obviously took to wearing your own medals on your left breast. I've worn my grandfathers in past years but was told this year that it was against regs.

2. Wearing of head gear on parade.
    Whats the official line on wearing a relatives head gear. Not something I'd choose to do to be honest but i know someone who wears his father in laws green lid on remembrance day

3. Saluting the Standards of military associations.
    Most military services seem to do it but what is the official line on saluting standards?

Happy to receive peoples views and opinions on this but if anyone is able to quote a the official publication i'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

TH

2. Ref Point 1 - depends I Guess if you're serving or not. This from JSP 761:

Point 2 - Someone else's headgear? Only if you're a Walt.

Point 3 - it's in QR's I think Strictly speaking you should also salute war memorials (including the Cenotaph), funeral processions and wifes - saluting after all is equivalent to a civvy doffing their hat.

3. Surely you don't mean wearing relative's medals whilst in uniform?

4. Guzzler - I mean exactly that.

Partimer - Are those serving, parading in rig allowed to wear a relatives o medals on their right breast whilst on parade?

I agree with the Walt comment on the head gear.

TYVM.

5. Never heard of anyone ever wearing ancestors medals when in rig, civvies yes but never rig. There were a few wives wearing their husbands in the Albert Hall last night.

6. But if that was the case surely we'd see sprogs with dad's medals on when they pass out at Raleigh?

Providing said dad was a dead dad that is.

Could be wrong, but in uniform that doesn't seem right. It does apply in civies as far as I'm aware, but as my dad didn't get a whole bundle in a couple of years national service with the crab band I've never had to test it out.

7. Tch. There's a time and a place :roll:

8. There's always one in every ships company and your a squadrons worth :tool: :wink:

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

10. Cheers Ninja - t'would appear that t'old orafice was correct.

Now if anyone can do the same for the salutations for Standards we're home and dry, :D

11. Well, you live and learn.

Even with my scant understanding of protocol I see the logic though.

12. Walting in the extreme. Unless he wears a big sign around his neck saying. "This Green Lid belongs to my FiL and I'm not trying to imply that I'm a steely eyed Commando sneaky beaky dealer of death. Honest." or something similar. Tell him to get it orf!
    I'd like to wear my Mother's old Brown Owls (Brownie pack leader) hat but I've got a bit too much respect for the role and self respect.

13. Can anyone give a sensible answer ?

14. Ninja Stoker has supplied the relevant Regs above.
    I never found them to be a barrel of laughs myself but each to their own. :roll:

15. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No No No No NO!!!!

16. Not according to JSP 761 which I quoted, and highlighted the relevant section in bold. BR81 incidentally doesn't cover this particular aspect, but directs people to JSP 761.

17. On a seperate note, if anyone on here is serving at HMS President please could you kindly have a quiet word with the AB and two Lieutenants who were chatting throughout the service of remembrance at St Pauls Cathedral, and didn't stand to attention during the last post or national anthem yesterday.

Cheers

18. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Are you sure they were PRESIDENT 2DD? I ask only as normally PRESIDENT doesnt have a commitment to do St Pauls, as their people are spread around the wider London area. (That may well have changed though - its a long time since I had any involvement with that place).

That said, if they were PRESIDENT (name badges etc), then I know that quite a few relevant people from there look at this site.

19. The AB had a President Cap Tally, can't be sure about the grunters. I don't want to sound like I'm having a whinge but I found it fairly disrespectful when everyone else in the cathedral stood to attention including a group of tourists while they just stood there looking slightly bemused.

Edited to add: Fair play to them actually being there in the first place though, it was nice to see a big turn out from various units across London, many more than last year.

20. The wearing of relatives medals is perfectly acceptable in uniform as long as it's on the right side. I've also been told (but not certain how true it is) that you can only wear medals of relatives within two generations and only of relatives who are deceased. Can anyone confirm this?

I've seen guys wear their own medals on the left and a relatives on the right at the same time and why not. It's great to be proud of your ancestors, although I have to admit it looks a little odd seeing two lots of medals on a uniform.

As for the green lid, that's F*****g outrageous! The guy has no business wearing it and should be pounced on unless he's personally earned it. I fully appreciate anyone paying respects and keeping the memory of a loved one alive, but that's serious walting and highly inappropriate from where I stand.